Capitalization in Polish
Thread poster: Robert Beard (X)
Robert Beard (X)
Robert Beard (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:43
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 2, 2014

I am using SJP online dictionary and it lists company names as both capitalized an uncapitalized: capitalized when you refer to the company itself, uncapitalized when referring to a product of that company, e.g. Tuborg (company) vs. tuborg (the beer), Chanel (the company) but chanel (the perfume).

I can't check it in any other dictionary, because they don't even carry proper nouns and I can't find reference to this issue in any Polish grammar. I've taken 4 years of Polish in colleg
... See more
I am using SJP online dictionary and it lists company names as both capitalized an uncapitalized: capitalized when you refer to the company itself, uncapitalized when referring to a product of that company, e.g. Tuborg (company) vs. tuborg (the beer), Chanel (the company) but chanel (the perfume).

I can't check it in any other dictionary, because they don't even carry proper nouns and I can't find reference to this issue in any Polish grammar. I've taken 4 years of Polish in college and visited Poland 4 times, but that doesn't help either. Can a native speaker of Polish help me?
Collapse

Adam Łobatiuk
Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 05:43
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Good reference Aug 2, 2014

Hi Robert,

These links should be helpful:
http://so.pwn.pl/zasady.php?id=629407
http://so.pwn.pl/zasady.php?id=629431

Please note, however, that uncapitalized brand and product names are used very rarely, no matter what the rule says. Some names have become generic
... See more
Hi Robert,

These links should be helpful:
http://so.pwn.pl/zasady.php?id=629407
http://so.pwn.pl/zasady.php?id=629431

Please note, however, that uncapitalized brand and product names are used very rarely, no matter what the rule says. Some names have become generic (e.g. aspiryna, adidasy, pampersy) and in such cases they are not capitalized. But "sony" or "kodak" look very strange and most people will capitalize them.

In general, Polish capitalization rules are unnecessarily complex and I hope they get simplified one day. For example, magazine titles are all capitalized while book titles are not. This just doesn't make any sense, just like the brand name rules.
Collapse

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
I don't think it is accurate, probably just sloppiness Aug 3, 2014

All company names and proper names (except some adjectives--nationalities, for example, which are not a part of a company name) should be capitalized in Polish, regardless of their function within the sentence. (response to the original post)

[Edited at 2014-08-03 09:49 GMT]

Robert Beard (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks and a correction Aug 3, 2014

Thanks, Adam, for the correct reply and the references to back it up.

Lilian I'm afraid you are wrong. Look at the citations from Adam's reply in the PWN.

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Yeah, lowercase for products Aug 5, 2014

Please note that whenever you see a brand capitalized, it's either in quotation marks or preceded by the word 'marki' (genitive case of 'marka', i.e. brand). Otherwise it most likely needs to be in the lowercase.

The function, not the origin, controls. Something which was originally a name but is used like a generic noun to refer to products as them themselves will be lowerce.

The use is generic enough to require the lowercase if you refer to products with their brand n
... See more
Please note that whenever you see a brand capitalized, it's either in quotation marks or preceded by the word 'marki' (genitive case of 'marka', i.e. brand). Otherwise it most likely needs to be in the lowercase.

The function, not the origin, controls. Something which was originally a name but is used like a generic noun to refer to products as them themselves will be lowerce.

The use is generic enough to require the lowercase if you refer to products with their brand names with no specific introduction referring to the fact that the brand name is used in the function of a brand name (such as 'marki', 'firmy' — which obviously introduce a brand or company name used as such — or even quotation marks).

An exception will be made for a class of people (unlike things) referred to in the same fashion with the actual proper name of a person (as opposed to the name of a company named after him) used in the function of a generic noun designating such people — any doubting Thomas will be capitalized in Polish too. We're supposedly 'a nation without Quislings' as well, which obviously doesn't refer to any person with that family name but only someone who acts like Vidkun Quisling did in WW2.

But if people somehow managed to be referred to with a brand name used in the function of a generic noun, then that too would be lowercase.
Collapse

Robert Beard (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Aug 5, 2014

Lukasz,

Thanks for the expanded explanation.

--RB

Gwidon Naskrent
Gwidon Naskrent  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Quite strange Oct 6, 2014

I have never seen references to beer or perfume brands in lowercase.

This obscure rule does exist (most commonly with respect to makes of vehicles), but is universally ignored, and even language authorities have been calling for its abolition.

The nearest phenomenon in English would be the "generic trademark", also called the "proprietary eponym", but the Polish version is not restricted to trademarks, or even objects, cf. judasz, krezus, herkules, herod(-baba), hitler
... See more
I have never seen references to beer or perfume brands in lowercase.

This obscure rule does exist (most commonly with respect to makes of vehicles), but is universally ignored, and even language authorities have been calling for its abolition.

The nearest phenomenon in English would be the "generic trademark", also called the "proprietary eponym", but the Polish version is not restricted to trademarks, or even objects, cf. judasz, krezus, herkules, herod(-baba), hitler(ek) etc. The English version, if it is used at all (calling someone a Judas is quite uncommon), is always capitalized.

[Edited at 2014-10-06 12:22 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Monika Jakacka Márquez[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Capitalization in Polish

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »