regular expressions library
Persoa que publicou o fío: Luna Media
Luna Media
Luna Media
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 15

My colleagues and I are trying to build a library of regular expressions to help us fix machine translation errors automatically. Before we get too deep into learning and building it, we were wondering if such a thing already exists out there. Google searches did not help locate a "library regular expressions for localization" and it would be a bit time-consuming to find examples throughout the forum, which I'm sure there are plenty. Thank you very much!

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:19
German to English
+ ...
Machine versus machine? Jun 16

Maybe I've misunderstood, but it sounds like you want to improve MT by using another machine?

Automatically replace certain terms with others? Would that improve anything?

More details please.

A list of 'regular expressions" would be endless.

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:19
Membro (2014)
Japanese to English
Handcraft them Jun 16

Luna Media wrote:
My colleagues and I are trying to build a library of regular expressions to help us fix machine translation errors automatically.

Personally, I don't think a library or any other kind of prebuilt collection will be of much use to you, because you will have to inspect each case individually. It will depend very much on the language pair, the content of the text, and so on.

Regexes are powerful tools, but there are lots of edge cases and they can be destructive if deployed carelessly or indiscriminately. I use them fairly frequently and can testify that is very easy to make mistakes that ruin large sections of your document. This potential for disaster may be the origin of the following well-known observation by Jamie Zawinski:

Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems.
If you really want to do this, I would abandon the idea of a pre-built library and just start crafting one example at a time, and testing very carefully (in a sandbox) as you go. That way you will at least understand what you are doing. If you're new to regexes and I suggest looking at a tool like RegexBuddy.

Regards,
Dan

Jennifer Levey
Stepan Konev
Hans Lenting
Darius Sciuka
Alison Jenner

Luna Media
Luna Media
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
INICIO DE TEMA
Thank you Jun 16

Thank you for all the suggestions and input.

Non hai ningún moderador asignado específicamente a este foro.
Para informar do incumprimento das normas do sitio ou para obter axuda, por favor, contacte co persoal do sitio »

regular expressions library

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »