Peter Motte
Peter Motte  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 18:08
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Feb 10

Some potential client, hererafter called the PC, asked me to do 10 000 to 12 000 words per day PEMT or the same amount for similar jobs.
Is that actually remotely possible? That is almost 50 pages a day.
Not to mention that I won't be full time working for them, as I'm a freelancer, and have to make sure that other clients, hereafter called OC's, also will have to be served.

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
I think Feb 10

Peter Motte wrote:

Some potential client, hererafter called the PC, asked me to do 10 000 to 12 000 words per day PEMT or the same amount for similar jobs.
Is that actually remotely possible? That is almost 50 pages a day.
Not to mention that I won't be full time working for them, as I'm a freelancer, and have to make sure that other clients, hereafter called OC's, also will have to be served.

...the answer is in the question ...

Angie Garbarino
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Christine Andersen
Lingua 5B
yam2u
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Peter Feb 10

Peter Motte wrote:

It depends on the subject material and how good the machine translation is. Last month I had a job where I did 12 000 words PEMT in 5 hours, and I'm convinced that my translation was good. But it really, really, really depends. I've also had PEMT where I barely scratched 500 words per hour.

I gather from your comment that the client wants to determine your rate based on this speed.

Many clients now pay an hourly rate for PEMT and not a word rate, and they do that based on various analyses of the text. So, if they tell you that the analysis says that the text is worth 850 words per hour, this means that if you told the agency your hourly rate is EUR 50, you'll end up getting paid EUR 5.8 for 100 words of PEMT. I think the problem for many translators is that they don't have a very high hourly rate (i.e. their hourly rate is not a true reflection of how much they usually earn per hour, if they charge per word).

megane_wang
Yasutomo Kanazawa

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
12 000 words/day is not average for MTPE Feb 10

It can be done depending on the subject and the MT output quality.
A reasonable average is rather 5000-7000 words/day when working with good MT output.
Just consider that the PROOFREADING average is 1000 words per hour for good quality translations, and full MTPE takes generally longer than proofreading.

P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Katja Fels
Michaela Müller

Peter Motte
Peter Motte  Identity Verified
Belgium
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
-- Feb 10

Thank you all for the input.
The problem is I have no idea about the subjects nor the quality of the texts.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:08
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Peter Feb 10

Post-editing MT (good or bad output) is a process that I find to be tiresome, so I never do it more than 4/5 hours in a row, which means that 12,000 words per day is unachievable for me. I don’t think I ever did more than 7,000 words. Anyway, I never accept a job without having a good look at it first and I have rejected a lot of MTPEs…

Zea_Mays
Philippe Etienne
Lingua 5B
P.L.F. Persio
Walter Landesman
expressisverbis
Anette Hilgendag

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Average Feb 10

Peter Motte wrote:
Is that actually remotely possible?

Since your PC asks this on a per-day basis, we are talking about an average. In that case I would say it's absolutely impossible. Theoretically 10 000 words might be just doable, but even then you would be talking about an extremely exhausting (and very long) day and the MT output would have to be consistently good without sections where it is not. I haven't experienced those conditions yet.

If you want a working life that doesn't wear you out completely, I wouldn't go higher than 6000 MTPE words a day. Remember that if you aim at 6000 words a day while the MT output turns out to be mediocre, you won't have a comfortable day at all. It will be exhausting and long.

This is my experience. Some people may disagree, but my business goal and main selling point is delivering the same quality every single day, regardless of using MT or not.

Zea_Mays
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Philip Lees
Evgeny Sidorenko
Jorge Payan

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Hard to imagine Feb 10

Samuel Murray wrote:
It depends on the subject material and how good the machine translation is. Last month I had a job where I did 12 000 words PEMT in 5 hours, and I'm convinced that my translation was good.

That would be 2400 words an hour. In my book there aren't any circumstances imaginable in which this is doable while delivering a quality translation. It's even absurd, knowing that I need about an hour to simply read 3000 words at a normal pace.

Arne Krueger
Renée van Bijsterveld
yam2u
P.L.F. Persio
Walter Landesman
expressisverbis

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
But Feb 10

Peter Motte wrote:

The problem is I have no idea about the subjects nor the quality of the texts.

Then you shouldn't bid on it.
And not much point in speculating about X words per day.

Renée van Bijsterveld
yam2u
P.L.F. Persio
Walter Landesman
expressisverbis
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
PEMT Feb 10

If you are extremely lucky, then the MT text might make some sense - regardless of the field. Surely you can "just read" some 12,000 words in one day. However, MTs have proven to be rather scrambled, oftentimes requiring a complete new translation or extensive rewriting.

Let me guess, they're willing to pay you a cent or two per word? I, for one, would simply ignore the task or maybe try to make the customer see that s/he should be a little more realistic.... of course in a very pol
... See more
If you are extremely lucky, then the MT text might make some sense - regardless of the field. Surely you can "just read" some 12,000 words in one day. However, MTs have proven to be rather scrambled, oftentimes requiring a complete new translation or extensive rewriting.

Let me guess, they're willing to pay you a cent or two per word? I, for one, would simply ignore the task or maybe try to make the customer see that s/he should be a little more realistic.... of course in a very polite and professional manner.

[Edited at 2024-02-10 17:00 GMT]
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Hebat-Allah El Ashmawy

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Several MTPE clients Feb 10

Some MTPE clients kept offering MTPE (even though I said I don’t do them). Almost as if they were trying to push it onto me.

Then there was a turn.

They started coming to me saying how “clients complained about quality” and how much I charge for translation from scratch. Then we continued with normal translation.

What happened here, why did the clients complain? Because of the $0.01 peanut MT proofreaders who fly through text at the speed of 12k words
... See more
Some MTPE clients kept offering MTPE (even though I said I don’t do them). Almost as if they were trying to push it onto me.

Then there was a turn.

They started coming to me saying how “clients complained about quality” and how much I charge for translation from scratch. Then we continued with normal translation.

What happened here, why did the clients complain? Because of the $0.01 peanut MT proofreaders who fly through text at the speed of 12k words/day. That’s right ladies and gentlmen, flying and reading are not the same. And reading and critical reading are not the same either. Let’s leave the flying to pilots.

[Edited at 2024-02-10 16:05 GMT]
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Philip Lees
Michaela Müller
Yasutomo Kanazawa

Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
Local time: 19:08
English to Russian
+ ...
So, is quality not dead after all? Feb 10

Lingua 5B wrote:

They started coming to me saying how “clients complained about quality” and how much I charge for translation from scratch. Then we continued with normal translation

Then there must also be hope. As for the speed mentioned above, well, it's impossible to achieve unless the customer is happy with garbage results: you do as many find and replaces as you can to correct mistranslations you're able to spot and deliver slightly cleaner garbage while taking no responsibility. Also, it's disrespectful to ask a pro to work at such a speed. I'm sure the customer just doesn't understand how our work is done (since I don't know anyone from that company,
I won't be questioning their intellectual abilities). Remember someone from a country I'd better not mention writing about being able to translate 15k per day from scratch (9k if it's many days' work). I'd really love to see their outputs and to be able to evaluate them. I'm quite fast btw, whether I'm translating or reviewing, and still I'll never accept such jobs

[Редактировалось 2024-02-10 18:23 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Philip Lees

Arne Krueger
Arne Krueger
Germany
German to English
+ ...
12k per day, 7 days in a row... Feb 10

...and your mind feels like a squeezed sponge. ^^

NOT recommended is my answer.

Of course, a 12k task on any given day is a different story... That may be doable. But not over a longer period. That is a recipe for stroke...

Philip Lees
P.L.F. Persio
Angie Garbarino
Zea_Mays
Yasutomo Kanazawa

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

12 000 words a day

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »