Blue Board: why reveal mail & address of a new outsourcer?
Thread poster: Martin Schmurr
Martin Schmurr
Martin Schmurr  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:51
Italian to German
May 4, 2006

Hi Jason,
I wanted to add a new outsourcer to the Blue Board. As my comment will be negative and a discussion in the Italian Forum revealed that this in Italy may lead to a lawsuit, I wonder why it is obligatory to indicate mail & address of the outsourcer: he won't be pleased to see his data revealed on the internet so that anybody may write to him. Isn't it enough if I state his full name and the town?
Thank you!
Martin

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:51
English to French
+ ...
This has been discussed before... May 5, 2006

I can't find the thread where someone was discussing this (it was in Italian), but here is what it was essentially saying.

Even if it is illegal to give bad reference in Italy, it is NOT illegal to say the truth. As long as you are not being mean in your message and don't show that you are angry, it is technically possible to post such feedback. Just state what happened, for example: "Has been owing $2000 since november. Has not replied to any of my communications so far." And then,
... See more
I can't find the thread where someone was discussing this (it was in Italian), but here is what it was essentially saying.

Even if it is illegal to give bad reference in Italy, it is NOT illegal to say the truth. As long as you are not being mean in your message and don't show that you are angry, it is technically possible to post such feedback. Just state what happened, for example: "Has been owing $2000 since november. Has not replied to any of my communications so far." And then, just put a rating of 1.

Of course, before doing this, I strongly recommend you find the thread in the Italian forums and read it from beginning to end. If I remember correctly, there even was a lawyer discussing this question, just to tell the person in your situation what they should do and what they should avoid doing.

Good luck!

P.S.: There HAS to be an address in the BB, otherwise, outsourcers can be mistaken for other outsourcers with similar names. It would be quite unfair for a good outsourcer to get bad comments when they didn't do anything wrong - and let the bad outsourcer get away.

[Edited at 2006-05-05 02:45]
Collapse

Martin Schmurr
Italian to German
TOPIC STARTER
well, postal address is OK, but why the e-mail? May 5, 2006

post adress & name is enough to identify the outsourcer; evil-minded people are too lazy to write a letter and bring it to the post office, whereas an e-mail address is an invitation to write anything quickly and easily; I wouldn't be pleased to see mine published in a negative context.

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:51
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Email addresses not shown publicly May 5, 2006

Hi Martin,

Email addresses are not shown publicly in Blue Board records.

Giuliana

LuciaC
LuciaC
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:51
English to Italian
+ ...
It IS illegal May 5, 2006

Viktoria, according to art. 595 and 596 of the Italian Criminal Code.

We are all thinking of this thread:

http://www.proz.com/post/308628#308628

Martin Schmurr
Italian to German
TOPIC STARTER
grazie Giuliana, May 5, 2006

so I can go ahead!
How are you?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Blue Board: why reveal mail & address of a new outsourcer?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »