Why haven't I received more jobs for all those quotes I've submitted where I was ranked 1st?
Persoa que publicou o fío: Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 18:21
Membro (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Jul 21

When I am checking my previous quotes I have submitted the past few years, I find it a bit peculiar that for most of those quotes, I have been ranked 1st but still no action by the job advertiser has been taken. Some examples of quotes with no action taken by the job advertiser (or where my quote was declined), starting with the latest on 18th July three days ago:

18/7 1st/5 (I am waiting for the final decision, seems like I have a good chance of getting this project)
29/3 1st
... See more
When I am checking my previous quotes I have submitted the past few years, I find it a bit peculiar that for most of those quotes, I have been ranked 1st but still no action by the job advertiser has been taken. Some examples of quotes with no action taken by the job advertiser (or where my quote was declined), starting with the latest on 18th July three days ago:

18/7 1st/5 (I am waiting for the final decision, seems like I have a good chance of getting this project)
29/3 1st/13
22/3 1st/8 (I had this project confirmed and completed it)
6/2 Declined
28/9 2023 1st/9
26/10 2022 2nd/9
22/9 2022 1st/10
22/9 2022 1st/18
21/8 2022 Declined
11/4 2022 1st/6
17/3 2022 1st/10

What could the reasons be that I haven't received more jobs among those offered where I was ranked as 1st?
Collapse

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Membro (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
But Jul 21

But ranked first what? What are/were you ranked first for? Can you explain a little bit more? In subject are in Kudoz points or what? Were you the first to submit a quote? There are many reasons why 1 quote will be accepted over another - price, wording, experience to name just a few.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:21
Membro (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Josephine Jul 21

If you go to Jobs & Directories, More, My quotes, you will find out what Fredrik is talking about, but as you say a client’s choice depends on many other factors, namely price!

P.S. I discovered this by chance when I was looking for something completely different...

Zea_Mays

Portugal
Membro (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Fredrik Jul 21

I have exactly the same experience as you, I have been ranked in 1st place quite often (I don’t know what this means: have I been the first person to quote?!), in two cases my offer was declined, but for the remaining I was only contacted once (curiously enough in this case I was ranked 2nd). I always presumed that not being chosen was a question of price…

Zea_Mays

Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Membro (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
INICIO DE TEMA
Ranked 1st by the job advertiser? Jul 21

I have always presumed that the ordinals are assigned by the job advertiser. In other words, the job advertiser begins with sorting the incoming quotes, even if it is roughly. I don't know, it maybe sounds farfetched because why would every single job advertiser do it (I always get those ordinals displayed)? And it seems those ordinals are assigned quickly, if not immediately - maybe automatically.

It doesn't hold that the ordinals would indicate which job application was sent in wh
... See more
I have always presumed that the ordinals are assigned by the job advertiser. In other words, the job advertiser begins with sorting the incoming quotes, even if it is roughly. I don't know, it maybe sounds farfetched because why would every single job advertiser do it (I always get those ordinals displayed)? And it seems those ordinals are assigned quickly, if not immediately - maybe automatically.

It doesn't hold that the ordinals would indicate which job application was sent in which order in time to the job advertiser, because I've been assigned the ordinal 1st even when there have been other quotes made before me.

Anyway, it seems they don't indicate anything of relevance as to my chances of being awarded the project or not.
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 19:21
English to Russian
Ranking explained Jul 21

Try this: https://www.proz.com/faq/4442#4442
See point 5, plus search for "rank" across the text to find more information about ranking.

Portugal
Membro (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Stepan Jul 21

We haven’t been talking about the ranking in the directory, but about “Where does my quote rank?” and if this rank has any impact whatsoever on the outsourcer’s choice. For instance (my quotes):

15/7 2nd/7 (I got this job)
1/07 1st/19 (no reaction)
1/07 1st/33 (no reaction)
26/06 2nd/69 (no reaction)
18/06 6th/159 (no reaction)
11/06 2nd/8(no reaction)
07/06 2nd/27 (no reaction)
30/05 2nd/78 (no reaction)
22/05 3rd/23 (no react
... See more
We haven’t been talking about the ranking in the directory, but about “Where does my quote rank?” and if this rank has any impact whatsoever on the outsourcer’s choice. For instance (my quotes):

15/7 2nd/7 (I got this job)
1/07 1st/19 (no reaction)
1/07 1st/33 (no reaction)
26/06 2nd/69 (no reaction)
18/06 6th/159 (no reaction)
11/06 2nd/8(no reaction)
07/06 2nd/27 (no reaction)
30/05 2nd/78 (no reaction)
22/05 3rd/23 (no reaction)
10/5 2nd/47 (no reaction)
07/05 2nd/77 (no reaction)
(…)
Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Membro
English to French
A Plus feature 07:51

In my "My quotes" page, the "Where does my quote rank?" column states "Quote ranking is available to ProZ.com members with a Plus subscription."

What if AI ranked quotes automatically?

Philippe

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why haven't I received more jobs for all those quotes I've submitted where I was ranked 1st?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »