Inițiatorul discuției: italia
italia
italia  Identity Verified
Germania
Local time: 22:30
din italiană în germană
+ ...
Dec 31, 2008

Dear all, I have just been assigned the translation of a website. The problem ist that there are some flash files I can't process. Is there a way I can copy and paste them into a normal word file? I don't use any website software etc.
Otherwise I was thinking of printing the single pages and write them from scratch, which would be rather annoying however:((
Hoping in some other solution I wish you all a prosperous 2009 with loads of challenging projects!
BW

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:30
Membru (2006)
din engleză în rusă
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Basically, SWF files are not intended for editing Dec 31, 2008

So, I’d ask the client to provide the source strings for translation.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazilia
Local time: 17:30
din engleză în portugheză
+ ...
In Memoriam
Flash Digger Dec 31, 2008

Have a look at http://home.flashdig.com . You may download a partially funcional demo. You won't be able to do anything with it, but it may give a good idea on what you'll be up to.

No, I didn't use it, as the project was allegedly awarded to a competitor who offered half my rates. This was more than one year ago, but I don't know whether it came through or was cancelled. However I keep the info han
... See more
Have a look at http://home.flashdig.com . You may download a partially funcional demo. You won't be able to do anything with it, but it may give a good idea on what you'll be up to.

No, I didn't use it, as the project was allegedly awarded to a competitor who offered half my rates. This was more than one year ago, but I don't know whether it came through or was cancelled. However I keep the info handy, just in case another Flash project ever comes up.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Ţările de Jos
Membru (2006)
din engleză în afrikaans
+ ...
Protected files Dec 31, 2008

italia wrote:
Is there a way I can copy and paste them into a normal word file?

I'd say, get the FLA files (if you use Flash authoring software) and/or the text files from the client himself. Flash files can also be protected so that even expensive softwre can't edit it or even get the text from it.

Ángel Domínguez
Ángel Domínguez  Identity Verified
Spania
Membru (2008)
din engleză în spaniolă
+ ...
Editing Flash files should be considered an additional service Jan 2, 2009

Hi,

to properly edit Flash files you need the Flash authoring tool by Adobe. Flash is a convoluted tool, not easy for beginners and sometimes a pain in the ass, but editing texts inside it should be pretty straightforward. The problem is, there could be text strings inside ActionScript code, and that should be indicated by the client.

Flash has a small system for the creation of multilingual files; it allows you to define text variables in several languages for an eas
... See more
Hi,

to properly edit Flash files you need the Flash authoring tool by Adobe. Flash is a convoluted tool, not easy for beginners and sometimes a pain in the ass, but editing texts inside it should be pretty straightforward. The problem is, there could be text strings inside ActionScript code, and that should be indicated by the client.

Flash has a small system for the creation of multilingual files; it allows you to define text variables in several languages for an easier updating of the texts, but the client may or may not have used this.

In any case, editing the Flash file, given its potential complexity and pain in the ass factor, should be charged as an additional service, like when you have to edit, say, an Illustrator file or a InDesign document.

Hope this helped,

Ángel.

----------
EDIT: by Flash files I mean those with a .FLA extension. Those must be provided by the client; if all you have is an SWF (compiled Flash) file, there's not much you can do. Well, actually, you can de-compile it with a decompiler tool, but that's not an elegant solution by any means.

[Edited at 2009-01-02 12:08 GMT]
Collapse

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ucraina
Local time: 23:30
Membru (2008)
din engleză în rusă
+ ...
covert using free tools Jan 2, 2009

It IS painful, be prepared, but you might...

1) convert SWF into AVI using a converter (e.g. AnyVidoConverter is a free one), then extract the frames using ANY image editing tool (converting a video into frames), and feed them to ANY optical-character recognition software (e.g. FineReader of CuneiForm). THen use as any other text.

2) convert SWF into AVI using a converter (e.g. AnyVidoConverter is a free one), then burn to any DVD using any video-editing tool and transl
... See more
It IS painful, be prepared, but you might...

1) convert SWF into AVI using a converter (e.g. AnyVidoConverter is a free one), then extract the frames using ANY image editing tool (converting a video into frames), and feed them to ANY optical-character recognition software (e.g. FineReader of CuneiForm). THen use as any other text.

2) convert SWF into AVI using a converter (e.g. AnyVidoConverter is a free one), then burn to any DVD using any video-editing tool and translate from ANY DVD-player pausing the frames...

3) spend MORE time inventing other solutions.....
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to work with flash files

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »