Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:29
Italian to English
+ ...
Aug 25, 2022

Any opinions much appreciated.
I'm currently using Studio 2017, which RWS is running a promo drive to update to Studio 2022 at the mo for as much as €405, kindly informing people who’ve been using SDL’s program for years you won’t be able to update 2017 after 30/9/22 and will have to buy a new license.

MemoQ is also running a promo at the mo, 30% off until 31/8/22 if you subscribe to discount mails. The full MemoQ Translator Pro license should be about €430.
... See more
I'm currently using Studio 2017, which RWS is running a promo drive to update to Studio 2022 at the mo for as much as €405, kindly informing people who’ve been using SDL’s program for years you won’t be able to update 2017 after 30/9/22 and will have to buy a new license.

MemoQ is also running a promo at the mo, 30% off until 31/8/22 if you subscribe to discount mails. The full MemoQ Translator Pro license should be about €430.

So, more or less same price. Thinking, not give more money to RWS, get MemoQ and keep Studio 2017.

Many clients use Studio, a few use MemoQ. As far as I know you can translate Studio projects in MemoQ, as you can memoqxliff files in Studio.

Thanks

[Edited at 2022-08-25 11:23 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Jo Aug 25, 2022

Jo Macdonald wrote:

Yes, that is normal for Trados. You can upgrade from one version to the next or from a previous version to the latest version, but only if that older version is sufficiently recent. It makes sense that you would not be able to upgrade from 2017 to e.g. 2022 at some point in future (how nice of them to tell you the date). At some point the distance between your old version and the latest version is so wide that you end up having to pay the full price for the latest version, if you choose to upgrade.

There is a related issue, reported here, that RWS will stop licensing Trados versions older than 2014 soon. This means that if you have e.g. Trados 2009, and you get a new computer, you will no longer be able to install it. This doesn't affect you now, but it foreshadows what RWS intends to do in future: at some point, they'll make your current version of Trados unusable when you re-install it. If the dates are anything to do by, you still about about 3-4 years before that happens. So, for the moment, you can still use 2017.

So, more or less same price. Thinking, not give more money to RWS, get MemoQ and keep Studio 2017.

I don't think these two things have anything to do with each other. If you have considered buying MemoQ, now might be a good time to do it. If you really need to upgrade Trados because you need some or other new feature, then that might be better.

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 23:29
Danish to English
+ ...
Personal taste Aug 25, 2022

Some people prefer Studio, others memoQ. I'm in the latter group, but people usually prefer the interface they know.

I regularly handle sdlppx and sdlxliff formats in memoQ, which also handles sdltm. If you get an sdltb, you need to run a third-party converter first. TBs and TMs included in an sdlppx are imported, though. The only issue is that a memoQ design limit prevents it from handling very long sdlppx segments, but the company is looking into how to improve this.

... See more
Some people prefer Studio, others memoQ. I'm in the latter group, but people usually prefer the interface they know.

I regularly handle sdlppx and sdlxliff formats in memoQ, which also handles sdltm. If you get an sdltb, you need to run a third-party converter first. TBs and TMs included in an sdlppx are imported, though. The only issue is that a memoQ design limit prevents it from handling very long sdlppx segments, but the company is looking into how to improve this.

You should know that memoQ cannot export the original file format for projects imported from packages or xliff files.

memoQ doesn't display other font formatting than boldface and italics in the translation grid.

With memoQ, you can obviously accept projects from clients using a memoQ server without having to use a browser interface.

I find the memoQ interface more intuitive, and Studio seems to run into technical problems quite frequently, but at the end of the day, it's all a matter of which interface you feel most comfortable with.
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Susan Murphy Lamprecht

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
What do you mean by that Aug 25, 2022

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

You should know that memoQ cannot export the original file format for projects imported from packages or xliff files.

You're not speaking of return packages created by MemoQ, are you?

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 23:29
Danish to English
+ ...
Word, Excel, etc. Aug 25, 2022

Wolfgang wrote:

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

You're not speaking of return packages created by MemoQ, are you?

The original format of a file is not a Trados package but for example Word. memoQ exports sdlppx as sdlrpx.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Maintenance only for one year! Aug 27, 2022

Buy mQ today and get maintenance (mQ speak for updates) for ONE year.

After 2023-08-27 you would have to pay the mQ tax. Sorry, the mQ maintenance fee. Iirc, it is 125€/yr.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Calculated maintenance fees Aug 27, 2022

Hans Lenting wrote:
Buy mQ today and get maintenance (mQ speak for updates) for ONE year. After 2023-08-27 you would have to pay the mQ tax. Sorry, the mQ maintenance fee. Iirc, it is 125€/yr.

Until version 2021, the Trados "maintenance" fee also worked out to approximately EUR 125 per year.

Upgrading from 2021 to 2022 will set you back a whopping EUR 250, though (I'm not sure if this is going to be the new norm, but it could be: given that the annual subscription fee is EUR 350).

Upgrading from 2017 is a fair bit cheaper (per year) than upgrading from 2019 or 2021 at this time. If the OP decides to upgrade Trados now, it would have been as if she had paid a maintenance fee of EUR 80 per year instead of EUR 125 per year (although it's still EUR 400 out of pocket).

For comparison, the Wordfast "maintenance" fee works out to about EUR 95 per year and the CafeTran "maintenance" fee works out to about EUR 70 per year. Of course, these two products are not in the same league as Trados and MemoQ.

After 2023-08-27 you would have to pay the mQ tax. Sorry, the mQ maintenance fee.

Only if you want to receive updates/upgrades.

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Yes, it's worth mentioning this when talking about compatibility.

Strictly speaking, though, this is true of all CAT tools that use an intermediary format. MemoQ can only create Word etc. files from a MemoQ XLIFF file (not from a Trados XLIFF file or a Wordfast XLIFF file), Trados can only create them from a Trados XLIFF file, Wordfast can only create them from a Wordfast XLIFF file, etc. So, while you can translate a Trados XLIFF file in MemoQ, you can only generate the final file in its original format in the original tool.

Fortunately, if a client sends you an SDLXLIFF file, they typically want an SDLXLIFF file back. (I do have two clients who expect me to check the final file in the original format myself before delivering both the SDLXLIFF file and the final file.)

[Edited at 2022-08-27 08:23 GMT]

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
25% off Studio Aug 27, 2022

RWS is offering a 25% discount at the moment so updating from 2017 to 2022 cost €303 instead of €405.
Looks like this offer is valid for all updates and new licenses too, so if you're looking for a CAT check it out.
Upgrades: https://www.trados.com/store/upgrades.html
New li
... See more
RWS is offering a 25% discount at the moment so updating from 2017 to 2022 cost €303 instead of €405.
Looks like this offer is valid for all updates and new licenses too, so if you're looking for a CAT check it out.
Upgrades: https://www.trados.com/store/upgrades.html
New license: https://www.trados.com/products/trados-studio/freelance/
No need to purchase the maintenance plan if you don't need it, never have myself.

Thanks to everyone who contributed.
Due to the restrictions mentioned using MemoQ creating Word files from Studio projects (and the 25% discount) I've decided to stay with Studio for now and update to 2022.
Collapse

Hans Lenting

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Update Studio or update to MemoQ?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »