Problems with headset and Dragon speech-to-text
Thread poster: lindaellen (X)
lindaellen (X)
lindaellen (X)

Sep 24, 2010

I have a DNS 9, Word XP and a Logitech PC Headset 120.

The text-to-speech from DNS works fine, the headset is fine for the internet, but it doesn't work for speech-to-text. I have been trying to change the PC settings and tried using an other headset, but have the same problem with speech-to-text.

What am I missing? As I now have a frozen shoulder, the speech-to-text would be a blessing, I just can't get it to work.

Thanks
lindaellen

Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:08
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Create different user profile Sep 24, 2010

Hi Linda,
There are different user profiles for the different sources – Mic-In (computer's built-in mike) or USB (USB mike). Are you sure you selected the good one? If there is no user profile with USB mike, you need to create one.
Attila

Tom Hamilton
Tom Hamilton
Local time: 22:08
English
Logitech headset Sep 29, 2010

lindaellen ,

Unfortunately, no Logitech headset is designed to work well with speech recognition even though the manufacturer claims otherwise. Consumer grade microphones like Plantronics, Logitech etc. are more ideally suited to gaming and VoIP applications like Skype. Speech recognition can only be as strong as its weakest link and you probably have 3 weak links. Just like all microphones aren't created equal, neither are soundcards or NaturallySpeaking. We suspect you're using a
... See more
lindaellen ,

Unfortunately, no Logitech headset is designed to work well with speech recognition even though the manufacturer claims otherwise. Consumer grade microphones like Plantronics, Logitech etc. are more ideally suited to gaming and VoIP applications like Skype. Speech recognition can only be as strong as its weakest link and you probably have 3 weak links. Just like all microphones aren't created equal, neither are soundcards or NaturallySpeaking. We suspect you're using a substandard integrated soundcard, a version of NaturallySpeaking that is now 2 versions out of date and the Logitech 120 analog microphone which can be purchased for less than $4. We're not surprised at your accuracy. Just like a professional mechanic wouldn't be caught dead purchasing knuckle busting tools at Kmart, you sort of get what you pay for. If speech recognition plays an important role or semi-important role in your environment, we recommend taking a peek at our Microphone Comparison Matrix ~ https://www.knowbrainer.com/storefront/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=18 where you can view our latest microphone test results which compare pricing, accuracy, noise cancellation, features and even comfort.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems with headset and Dragon speech-to-text

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »