Thread poster: Anninili
Anninili
Anninili
Local time: 11:34
English to German
+ ...
Apr 26, 2022

Hi,

I am trying to find a setting in the project templates (or where ever) that allows to translate Hotspot titles created in FrameMaker. Is that even possible? We have documents with graphics/embedded videos and hotspots. The text in the hotspot is suppose to appear as "hint" on the graphics/video - works fine - but when translating the document in Trados, the hotspot text is not "visible" and therefore cannot be translated, leading to funny German hints on English videos...... See more
Hi,

I am trying to find a setting in the project templates (or where ever) that allows to translate Hotspot titles created in FrameMaker. Is that even possible? We have documents with graphics/embedded videos and hotspots. The text in the hotspot is suppose to appear as "hint" on the graphics/video - works fine - but when translating the document in Trados, the hotspot text is not "visible" and therefore cannot be translated, leading to funny German hints on English videos... I went through settings in the project template for MIFs but maybe there is secret combination I didn't find so far? The MIF definitely contains the text string.

I am wondering as all types of marker text appears as translateble text though I do not want to translate it (if anyone knows a solution/setting for that problem: please tell me, too - I have a lot of markers in the text and beside Index markers I do not want to translate any of them...) - but hotspot text somehow is not extracted?

So currently we are manually post-editing the documents in FrameMaker which is not that much fun and very error prone... and we would love to get of that task...

We are working with Trados 2019 Professional and FrameMaker 2019 (MIFs).

Thanks
Anneliese
Collapse

Charles Peng
Charles Peng  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 17:34
Member (2022)
English to Chinese
Trados 2021 SR2: Hotspot text can only be partly parsed Apr 26, 2022

Dear Anninili, I just tried again and have to edit this post in case of any misleading:

In Trados 2021 SR2, Hotspot text can only be partly parsed: only hypertext's name, but not the tooltip text.

Also, MemoQ 9.10 was tried but cannot parse tooltip text properly either...

[修改时间: 2022-04-26 18:07 GMT]

Anninili
Anninili
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Description text or tool tip text parsed? Apr 26, 2022

Dear Charles,

thanks for your quick response! I will have a more detailed look tomorrow as I am off work now - but could it be that it parsed the description only (I just saw "study" in the despription vs. "Study" in the tool tip)? I get the description as well but not the relevant tooltip text. But as I said, I will get back to you tomorrow and will be happy to provide you with one of our test mifs if you really do
... See more
Dear Charles,

thanks for your quick response! I will have a more detailed look tomorrow as I am off work now - but could it be that it parsed the description only (I just saw "study" in the despription vs. "Study" in the tool tip)? I get the description as well but not the relevant tooltip text. But as I said, I will get back to you tomorrow and will be happy to provide you with one of our test mifs if you really do not mind - we are getting a little desperate inserting manually the translation for hundreds and more tool tips...

Thanks again
Anneliese
Collapse

Charles Peng
China
Member (2022)
English to Chinese
Description text parsed only in Trados Studio Apr 27, 2022

Dear Anninili, I tried again last night and saw that Description text was parsed only, so I updated my last post.

At this moment, one "possible" solution for this issue is:

Framemaker 16.0.1.817 -> File -> Translation -> Export to Xliff 1.2

But there are some Xliff export settings to be tweaked, so that we could know which setting would control the export of tooltip text.

If tooltip text can be successfully exported, we can translate them in
... See more
Dear Anninili, I tried again last night and saw that Description text was parsed only, so I updated my last post.

At this moment, one "possible" solution for this issue is:

Framemaker 16.0.1.817 -> File -> Translation -> Export to Xliff 1.2

But there are some Xliff export settings to be tweaked, so that we could know which setting would control the export of tooltip text.

If tooltip text can be successfully exported, we can translate them in Xliff format.
Collapse

Anninili
Anninili
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER

Dear Charles,

thanks for your efforts and the time you invested, we are not moving to the FM version with xliff export any time soon - so if no one else has solution or workaround I guess we will continue manually updating those tool tips...

Regards
Annelies

Charles Peng
China
Member (2022)
English to Chinese
My pleasure Apr 28, 2022

It's my pleasure! I am interested in localization related engineering issue, and so sorry for not finding the solution at this moment. But let's keep an eye on this.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to translate hotspot text in MIFs with Trados

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »