Persoa que publicou o fío: agmo76
agmo76
agmo76
Local time: 03:48
English to Italian
+ ...
Feb 27, 2009

Hello,

I was wondering if you could give some tips on how to handle a big job it’s coming our way.

My client’s website has a huge amount of text, user generated clips descriptions.

While discussing with the client the project we analyzed how to make this translation project cost effective due to the amount of text, between old text and the new one we are talking about million of words. And they want to translate them all.

The
... See more
Hello,

I was wondering if you could give some tips on how to handle a big job it’s coming our way.

My client’s website has a huge amount of text, user generated clips descriptions.

While discussing with the client the project we analyzed how to make this translation project cost effective due to the amount of text, between old text and the new one we are talking about million of words. And they want to translate them all.

The client was asking me if we know of any corporate solution which will allow them to build a Vocabulary of words/terms/phrases.

We were also discussing a easy way to upload the text into the website which can be handled by building a simple script, but maybe there is already a solution out there.

I know that Multicorpora and Trados offer corporate solutions for large volumes of text , big websites and repeating text.

With our Project Manager we discussed to use Trados TM but I have the feeling that there might be another way.

Do you have any suggestion?

Thanks and have a good weekend!
Collapse

Marco Cevoli
Marco Cevoli  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:48
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Further details needed Feb 28, 2009

Hi there.

Interesting project, indeed. In order to give you advice about this, I need further details. Could you elaborate a little bit about the following points:

- What do you mean with "old text" and "new text"?
- Do you want to build
a) a translation memory
b) a glossary of terms or
c) a repository of sentences?

If you mean (a), does your client already have a bilingual web?
If you mean (b) or (c), what's your exact goal?
... See more
Hi there.

Interesting project, indeed. In order to give you advice about this, I need further details. Could you elaborate a little bit about the following points:

- What do you mean with "old text" and "new text"?
- Do you want to build
a) a translation memory
b) a glossary of terms or
c) a repository of sentences?

If you mean (a), does your client already have a bilingual web?
If you mean (b) or (c), what's your exact goal? Having a first database of terms/sentences to translate BEFORE translating the whole website?

- Which technology is the website built on? PHP, some CMS, plain html...?
- What's the exact relationship between "user generated texts" and the rest of the site? Could you provide more details?

>>I know that Multicorpora and Trados offer corporate solutions for large volumes of text , big websites and repeating text.

You're right, but be ready to invest many $$$$ for that. Even if your project is million words worth, you should carefully consider your ROI for that.

Feel free to contact me in private if you do not want to discuss the details publicly. Project management is one of the services we offer.

Best regards

Marco Cevoli
Qabiria

[Edited at 2009-02-28 13:02 GMT]
Collapse

Daniel García
Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Ask the experts Feb 28, 2009

Translating a large website is not a simple task but it is not something that has not been done before.

If you don't have the expertise to translate such a huge website, I would recommend hiring somebody that has the expertise.

There are lots of consultants and translation companies with lots of experience translating large websites. Using them for consultancy would save you lots of money in the long run.

Daniel

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:48
French to English
well said Feb 28, 2009

dgmaga wrote:

Translating a large website is not a simple task but it is not something that has not been done before.

If you don't have the expertise to translate such a huge website, I would recommend hiring somebody that has the expertise.

There are lots of consultants and translation companies with lots of experience translating large websites. Using them for consultancy would save you lots of money in the long run.

Daniel

I was thinking along the same lines!

Do your homework Oct 24, 2009

Localising a website varies in complexity depending on end client requirements. It sounds like this is something you and your client will need to think about in a lot more detail.

Firstly, with such a high volume of words, you definitely need to work with TM software of some sort, not only to speed up the translation process and ensure consistency but also to keep the costs down for your customer. A key consideration for your client should be to ensure future updates to the site are
... See more
Localising a website varies in complexity depending on end client requirements. It sounds like this is something you and your client will need to think about in a lot more detail.

Firstly, with such a high volume of words, you definitely need to work with TM software of some sort, not only to speed up the translation process and ensure consistency but also to keep the costs down for your customer. A key consideration for your client should be to ensure future updates to the site are consistent with legacy content and the only way to do this will be to create both, TMs and a terminology repository of some sort.

It is likely that your client's website is driven by a Content Management System (CMS). If this is the case, it most likely supports an export functionality that will allow you to get an 'XML dump' out of the CMS to form the basis of your quotation. This is the best way to ensure you do not miss any hidden content such as error messages etc. In the same way that content can be exported, it can then also be easily imported back into the CMS once localisation is complete. This not only saves time but also serves to eliminate the introduction of errors through manual copy/pasting.

Once you have the XML, HTML or PHP source files, you will need to ensure that you use a tool (there are many out there) to extract only translatable content for the purpose of quoting and translation and 'protect' the encoding of the files to ensure they are not broken during the process. The translator will then translate in tag editor and some simple post processing will then allow for for the content to be married up with the corresponding code again.

During your QA, watch out for the following:

1. Missing translations
2. You have used the correct character encoding e.g. Unicode, UTF8 etc.
3. Any graphics have been localised
4. Integrity of encoding is preserved (run a file compare tool)

If your client suggests logging into their CMS and translating directly within it, you should strongly advise against it as it makes the use of TM impossible and makes quality assurance and retrospective checks very difficult.

My personal view is that the client's interests would probably be best served working with an agency to project manage the work, offer guidance and manage the engineering processes.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Large project management advise

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »