No Transparency From Translation Firm Requesting My Info
Thread poster: Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)
Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)
Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Jan 24, 2003

I have gotten the same email two days straight from an agency called liftoff saying they are looking for translators.

They provide no address or name on their website to identify who or what they are. They also did not sign their email with a name.

I emailed them and told them that when they do identify themselves, I will give them my details. I am interested in knowing whether others have received an email from this outfit and what they think of my re
... See more
I have gotten the same email two days straight from an agency called liftoff saying they are looking for translators.

They provide no address or name on their website to identify who or what they are. They also did not sign their email with a name.

I emailed them and told them that when they do identify themselves, I will give them my details. I am interested in knowing whether others have received an email from this outfit and what they think of my response.

Thanx
Collapse

OlafK
OlafK
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:37
English to German
+ ...
I have recently received a similar email... Jan 24, 2003

from an agency with offices in Paris and London (allegedly). I visited their website and couldn\'t find any business address and the mail was just signed with a first name. They asked for what I deem to be sensitive information like names of clients and agencies I worked for and samples of my work. I told them that I was happy to provide the information if they let me know their address and names of people in charge. This was a few weeks ago and I haven\'t heard from them yet.

Cristiana Coblis
Cristiana Coblis  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 00:37
Member (2004)
English to Romanian
+ ...
name of the person in charge Jan 24, 2003

Dear Jane,

You did the right thing. Since you have already given the name of the company you can just as well give the name of the person who signed the email, in case they are hiding behind inexistent named companies, people should be aware at least of the person\'s name.

Best of luck.

Arthur Borges
Arthur Borges
China
Local time: 05:37
English
+ ...
I haven't been approached Jan 24, 2003

But would respond exactly as you did.

Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)
Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
no name Jan 24, 2003

Cristiana

THat\'s the point. The email was NOT signed. Can you believe it? It just said the Liftoff Team. What a joke!!

Samantha Richardson (X)
Samantha Richardson (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Your message... Jan 25, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-01-24 20:15, nonogogo wrote:

I emailed them and told them that when they do identify themselves, I will give them my details. I... See more
Quote:

On 2003-01-24 20:15, nonogogo wrote:

I emailed them and told them that when they do identify themselves, I will give them my details. I am interested in knowing whether others have received an email from this outfit and what they think of my response.

Thanx

Collapse

Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Local time: 03:07
English to Spanish
+ ...
me too Jan 25, 2003

I have also often received such emails, but what can you do?

One has to be very careful.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

No Transparency From Translation Firm Requesting My Info

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »