Thread poster: cunninglinguist
cunninglinguist
cunninglinguist
Netherlands
Local time: 20:28
Dutch to English
+ ...
Mar 10, 2003

I\'m about to start a 10-week simulation of a translation bureau: my final project in my translation studies. I will be the office manager of this bureau, which will have roughly 20 translators. Now, my question to you \'fellow office managers\' is: how do you motivate your employees? I\'m planning to reward them with compliments and show a personal interest. Any other ideas?

Big thanks

Anne

Maastricht

Holland

Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:28
German to English
It's amazing how motivated people are Mar 10, 2003

when you pay them well and FAST! And are really helpful answering their questions, give clear instructions and a purchase order. The fastet way to demotivate translators: don\'t pay them, criticise them, don\'t answer their emails!

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Stay on top of the hierarchy in pricing Mar 10, 2003

Fully agree with Gillian.

It\'s also curious how an agency that pays well communicates that it cares about quality, making translators pore over finished products with an eye to finesse and detail. Likewise, such an agency always gets priority and inspires greater effort -- many translators would rather lose sleep during a busy season than miss out on a job from such an outsourcer, if not for the money, for the sake of good public relations. ...
See more
Fully agree with Gillian.

It\'s also curious how an agency that pays well communicates that it cares about quality, making translators pore over finished products with an eye to finesse and detail. Likewise, such an agency always gets priority and inspires greater effort -- many translators would rather lose sleep during a busy season than miss out on a job from such an outsourcer, if not for the money, for the sake of good public relations.
Collapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 21:28
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
By carrot and stick :))) Mar 10, 2003

Subj.
[addsig]

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Information is key Mar 10, 2003

Make sure that you provide information along the entire process chain:

- Provide reference material (term lists/term bases, project TMs, other reference material).

- Keep the terminology updated throughout longer projects.

- Always return the edited version, and communicate that you expect translators to check the changes made.

Obviously, Gillian\'s point of timely payment also reflects a very important issue.

Bes
... See more
Make sure that you provide information along the entire process chain:

- Provide reference material (term lists/term bases, project TMs, other reference material).

- Keep the terminology updated throughout longer projects.

- Always return the edited version, and communicate that you expect translators to check the changes made.

Obviously, Gillian\'s point of timely payment also reflects a very important issue.

Best, Ralf
Collapse

cunninglinguist
cunninglinguist
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
We're working with virtual money Mar 10, 2003

Thanks all, but as this is a simulation, I can\'t pay my employees in real cash, as that would mean the end of my bank account within a week I\'ll try to pay them in coffee.

Nicolas Rick
Nicolas Rick
English to French
+ ...
Money ! Mar 10, 2003

As Gillian says : pay them well and FAS and of course feel free to tell them what you think of the job done wether good or bad.

Libero_Lang_Lab
Libero_Lang_Lab  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
as, in fact, you clearly recognise... Mar 10, 2003

...given your choice of nickname - oral stimulation is always the best - whatever tongue you\'re dealing with.

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
German to English
+ ...
I'd say trust is probably the most important element Mar 10, 2003

Trust between the agency and its freelancers, trust between the agency and its in-house translators, and trust between the employees themselves.

If that foundation isn\'t there then you can forget any of the other useful stuff about dissemination of information, on-time payments, etc. I\'m not saying that that doesn\'t play a role, but that it needs a solid foundation.

HTH

Alison

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Employees? Or suppliers? Mar 10, 2003

>my question to you \'fellow office managers\' is: how do you motivate your employees?

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
True, but... Mar 10, 2003

Quote:

Do you really mean employees? The other posters in this thread generally seem to think you mean freelance staff, for some reason.

Well spotted, Marc - probably due to the fact that most people active in here are freelancers rather than employees. However, I believe what I posted about information is important regardless of status.

Best, Ralf

corinne durand
corinne durand  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Respect!!!! Mar 10, 2003

With the right attitude, the right expectations, the right information (and the right way to communicate it), the right price, the right recognition (a simple thank you) for receiving and appreciating the work and the payment on time!

Simple really...that is why I find so amazing it does not come naturally (or at all) to everybody.

Cheers to all!

Susanna & Christian Popescu
Susanna & Christian Popescu
Germany
Romanian to German
+ ...
Don't forget *non-material* elements Mar 10, 2003

Communication, respect, Christmas/Easter Cards will maybe contribute to a more proper spirit of partnership, at least in some countries or at least in relation with some translators. Such small - let\'s call them attentions - may, at a first glance, provoke smiles, but who wouldn\'t appreciate beeing remembered not only on occasions of a certain project/job?!
[addsig]

cunninglinguist
cunninglinguist
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My people will be in-house... Mar 10, 2003

...but they will have the liberty of working wherever they want to, as long as they deliver on time and remain contactable during office hours.

Paul Roige (X)
Paul Roige (X)
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Coffee! Mar 11, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-03-10 17:02, cunninglinguist wrote:

Thanks all, but as this is a simulation, I can\'t pay my employees in real cash, as that would mean the end of my bank account within a week I\'ll try to pay them in coffee.

Now, that\'s cunning, my dear linguist! If you try coffee, please try well: have decaf just in case, heat the milk properly and get enough f... See more
Quote:

On 2003-03-10 17:02, cunninglinguist wrote:

Now, that\'s cunning, my dear linguist! If you try coffee, please try well: have decaf just in case, heat the milk properly and get enough froth for them all, never ever serve it cold or lukewarm, keep the coffee machine clean, and have a cloth handy to wipe out stains from the keyboard. Croissants and bagels on the side will be highly appreciated. And the background music, please be sensitive, do NOT play neither Cliff Richard nor Engelbert Humperdinck. Tom Jones and Abba OK.

There is nothing virtual about coffee, it\'s more real than you and me together.

And please, don\'t expect payment for your waiting services. Motivation would sink ipso facto...

Happy virtual whatevers

Paul

Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

motivating your translators

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »