Thread poster: Luke Mersh
Luke Mersh
Luke Mersh  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:08
Spanish to English
Apr 29, 2011

Hi everyone.

I was thinking about advertising in the UK for six months after i finish my course and then if nothing happens to go to Spain and approach hospitals and private clinics to find work, and was wondering what others would do in my situation.

Also if that doesnt work to move to the U.S.A and find work there as from what i read and have been told there is quite a lot of work there.

please let me know your thoughts.

luke

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:08
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
What course? Apr 29, 2011

Can you summarise what kind of course you mean?

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Advertising in Spain after finishing course-feedback wanted Apr 29, 2011

I will be doing a DPSI in Healthcare EN>ES

and hope to get a merit or distinction.

any advice is good.

sonjaswenson (X)
sonjaswenson (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:08
Spanish to English
+ ...
US Healthcare interpreting Apr 29, 2011

Yes there is a lot of work in the US for Spanish/English medical and "community" interpreters. Most of it is in major cities, of course, and some states such as California, Florida, and New Jersey have very developed programs.

Most of the work in US hospital settings is through agencies, rther than hospitals themselves, though many hospitals in large cities do have their own full-time interpreting staff.

Rates vary and can be very low ($15/hour for Spanish), to $50
... See more
Yes there is a lot of work in the US for Spanish/English medical and "community" interpreters. Most of it is in major cities, of course, and some states such as California, Florida, and New Jersey have very developed programs.

Most of the work in US hospital settings is through agencies, rther than hospitals themselves, though many hospitals in large cities do have their own full-time interpreting staff.

Rates vary and can be very low ($15/hour for Spanish), to $50/hour for Independant Medical Evaluations, which are ordered by lawyers for workers compensation cases and thus pay much more. Full-time hospital staff interpreters make an hourly wage on the lower end, but they also receive benefits, a guaranteed schedule, and know how much they are going to make every month.

Generally agencies in the US require you to prove 40 hours of training as a medical interpreter, though this is not through any state certification program, and they probably wouldn't mind if you gave them a copy of your UK degree. For legal interpreting in most states you have to pass a state or federal certification exam, though in small towns and rural areas this requirement is usually not as strict since there are less people around.

I don't think that your European background would be an issue, as I have met other medical interpreters from Spain.
Collapse

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Advertising in Spain after finishing course-feedback wanted Apr 29, 2011

sonjaswenson wrote:

Rates vary and can be very low ($15/hour for Spanish), to $50/hour for Independant Medical Evaluations, which are ordered by lawyers for workers compensation cases and thus pay much more. Full-time hospital staff interpreters make an hourly wage on the lower end, but they also receive benefits, a guaranteed schedule, and know how much they are going to make every month.

Generally agencies in the US require you to prove 40 hours of training as a medical interpreter, though this is not through any state certification program, and they probably wouldn't mind if you gave them a copy of your UK degree. For legal interpreting in most states you have to pass a state or federal certification exam, though in small towns and rural areas this requirement is usually not as strict since there are less people around.

I don't think that your European background would be an issue, as I have met other medical interpreters from Spain.

I am going to do a DPSI in healthcare sector, which is a 1 year course allowing me at the end of the course and if i pass to register on the NRPSI(National registrar of Public Service Interpreters).

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Advertising in Spain after finishing course-feedback wanted May 2, 2011

these rates are low compared to other posts i have read on Portugal ($500 per day)

is this because so many people can speak Spanish?

how does one earn more more than $15 per hour other than work more, are there better rates??

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
It's the service that determines conditions May 2, 2011

luke_cbs wrote:

these rates are low compared to other posts i have read on Portugal ($500 per day)

how does one earn more more than $15 per hour other than work more, are there better rates??

Hi Luke,

There are any number of schools of thought on the matter, the upshot being that social services are first and foremost public services and do not come up to the requirements of, say, conference interpreting - in questions of technical outlay, anyway. (In practice, healthcare - and even police work - really should be as demanding, but the lines are fuzzy.) Conference interpreters, however, usually don't settle for public services rates and conditions. But chop up the conference interpreter's daily rate and you get an idea of some reasonable per-hour rates you can use as a professional.

As for advertising, I'm not too sure that's the tack to take. Public service interpreting in Spain has lately been outsourced to wholesale bidders, and dealing with them is another ball game altogether.

Hope it helps.

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Advertising in Spain after finishing course-feedback wanted May 2, 2011

Parrot wrote:

luke_cbs wrote:

Hi Luke,

There are any number of schools of thought on the matter, the upshot being that social services are first and foremost public services and do not come up to the requirements of, say, conference interpreting - in questions of technical outlay, anyway. (In practice, healthcare - and even police work - really should be as demanding, but the lines are fuzzy.) Conference interpreters, however, usually don't settle for public services rates and conditions. But chop up the conference interpreter's daily rate and you get an idea of some reasonable per-hour rates you can use as a professional.

As for advertising, I'm not too sure that's the tack to take. Public service interpreting in Spain has lately been outsourced to wholesale bidders, and dealing with them is another ball game altogether.

Hope it helps.

it does in a way.
although i am a long way from starting out , course starts in Sept 2011, so will be constantly seeking advice and investigating.

John Rawlins
John Rawlins  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Spanish health authorities can be bad for your financial health May 2, 2011

Be warned that public health authorities are among the slowest payers in Spain. I cannot speak from experience about the speed with which they pay language service providers - but they are known to pay many suppliers with an unscheduled delay of two years - or more.

In Spain, this type of delay is often grudgingly tolerated by suppliers to state-owned businesses because it represents a very effective barrier to entry from foreign competitors (like you perhaps).

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
advertising_in_spain_after_finishing_course_feedback_wanted May 2, 2011

John Rawlins wrote:

Be warned that public health authorities are among the slowest payers in Spain. I cannot speak from experience about the speed with which they pay language service providers - but they are known to pay many suppliers with an unscheduled delay of two years - or more.

In Spain, this type of delay is often grudgingly tolerated by suppliers to state-owned businesses because it represents a very effective barrier to entry from foreign competitors (like you perhaps).

maybe i would be better working freelance and setting my own price?

Parrot
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
"Freelance" is when you get that kind of deal May 3, 2011

Being employed means the latest you get paid is the fifth day of the month for the month before (Workers' Statute).

Since the EU crackdown on late payment, State clients have cleaned up their act. However, a word of warning: the State continues to be an exception to the law on late payment. Language service providers to the major ministries are generally paid in accordance with the old 60-90-120-day formula, and the delay seems to have something to do with volume.

It's
... See more
Being employed means the latest you get paid is the fifth day of the month for the month before (Workers' Statute).

Since the EU crackdown on late payment, State clients have cleaned up their act. However, a word of warning: the State continues to be an exception to the law on late payment. Language service providers to the major ministries are generally paid in accordance with the old 60-90-120-day formula, and the delay seems to have something to do with volume.

It's not the competition (or lack of it) that suppliers tolerate; it's the certainty of payment, and the fact that having the State as a debtor can help obtain third-party financing (of interest to big companies). And foreign suppliers get the same crummy deal, don't worry, so all's fair (pharmaceuticals don't have to be Spanish, for instance).

I was coached by a ministry official on setting prices when working for government - anticipate the contract terms by factoring late payment into the price.
Collapse

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
advertising_in_spain_after_finishing_course_feedback_wanted May 3, 2011

Parrot wrote:

It's not the competition (or lack of it) that suppliers tolerate; it's the certainty of payment, and the fact that having the State as a debtor can help obtain third-party financing (of interest to big companies). And foreign suppliers get the same crummy deal, don't worry, so all's fair (pharmaceuticals don't have to be Spanish, for instance).

I was coached by a ministry official on setting prices when working for government - anticipate the contract terms by factoring late payment into the price.

will do.
what i had in mind was to advertise my services in say the Spanish hospitals and clinics for the patients benefit, so that they would have my contact details if ever they needed me.

Parrot
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Go straight to the community May 3, 2011

luke_cbs wrote:

what i had in mind was to advertise my services in say the Spanish hospitals and clinics for the patients benefit, so that they would have my contact details if ever they needed me.

If, say, you end up living in Alicante or some other region where foreign pensioners are plentiful and the hospitals cater to them (in some instances, these have been co-funded by foreign institutions for the benefit of their own nationals), go straight to the expatriates' associations without relying on state institution LSPs. But then it'll be a question of local contact and establishing yourself in your own neighbourhood/region. Good luck! It's a feasible plan, considering the number of pensioners in the warm-climate regions.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advertising in Spain after finishing course-feedback wanted

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »