Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:15
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Around Oct 30, 2012

Lessons around roll-out and delivery.

I'm amazed that nobody seems concerned about (presumed innocent) people being kept in prison because no suitable interpreter was available.

Summing up all the evidence, there seem to be two schools of thought:

(a) everyone involved is happy with the contract and there are no major problems;
(b) the contract is a comprehensive disaster and ought not to continue.

[Edited at 2012-10-30 11:12 GMT]

Peter Shortall
Peter Shortall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Romanian to English
+ ...
Today's JSC hearing Oct 30, 2012

My initial thoughts on this morning's hearing: although it was predictable that the so-called "intimidation" campaign would be cited by the contractor as an excuse, how disappointing that it wasn't able to provide any evidence of it - leaving aside, of course, the claim about complaints being made to the police. In case it escaped anyone's notice, those wouldn't be evidence! And I'd be willing to wager that none resulted in any prosecutions, due to lack of any evidence that they actually happene... See more
My initial thoughts on this morning's hearing: although it was predictable that the so-called "intimidation" campaign would be cited by the contractor as an excuse, how disappointing that it wasn't able to provide any evidence of it - leaving aside, of course, the claim about complaints being made to the police. In case it escaped anyone's notice, those wouldn't be evidence! And I'd be willing to wager that none resulted in any prosecutions, due to lack of any evidence that they actually happened.

I seem to recall a statement issued by HMCTS in February which claimed that the main reason for the early chaos in the courts was not inadequate supply of interpreters, but rather problems with the booking system. So on the one hand, we have the court service saying at the time that it was just a case of interpreters not being matched to jobs (which was supposedly one of the contractor's main functions, with all of the technical wizardry it touted), whereas the contractor is now putting those problems down to interpreter "resistance" and "intimidation", with GW stating - if I recall correctly - that he wasn't aware of any IT issues. So which is it?

One of the highlights for me: Andy Parker's belief that the main interpreting qualification in the field is known as the "Dipsy" (yes, as in the name of the Teletubby). Which kind of says it all, really!
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Oh no he hasn't Oct 30, 2012

Jenny Forbes wrote:

Blair may have gone

I wish. Now he wants to be President of the EU.

Re the court interpreters' contract fiasco - does anyone know what happens next?

[Edited at 2012-10-30 13:22 GMT]

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
The Ghost Writer Oct 30, 2012

Tom in London wrote:

Jenny Forbes wrote:

Blair may have gone

I wish. Now he wants to be President of the EU.

Re the court interpreters' contract fiasco - does anyone know what happens next?

[Edited at 2012-10-30 13:22 GMT]

Re: Blair
Yes, he hasn't and won't. Have you read "The Ghost" (or "The Ghost Writer" in the US) by Robert Harris (also an excellent film, directed by Polanski)? Alas, it's fiction, but it's a therapeutic and gripping read.
Jenny

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Download the full report here Dec 14, 2012

http://www.parliament.uk/business/committees/committees-a-z/commons-select/public-accounts-committee/news/moj-language-services-report/

and here's the story as reported by "The Independent":<
... See more
http://www.parliament.uk/business/committees/committees-a-z/commons-select/public-accounts-committee/news/moj-language-services-report/

and here's the story as reported by "The Independent":

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/mps-dismayed-by-total-chaos-of-42m-lost-in-translation-8413694.html

[Edited at 2012-12-14 14:58 GMT]
Collapse

Aisha Maniar
Aisha Maniar  Identity Verified
Arabic to English
+ ...
Thank you, Tom Dec 14, 2012

Thanks for this, I've only read the article so far, but the striking thing is that the MoJ has not been deeply embarrassed enough over the past 11 or so months to terminate the contract, which it could have and can do at any time...

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: empty post
Aisha Maniar
Arabic to English
+ ...
Justice Select Committee report Feb 6, 2013

The Justice Select Committee has published its report into the outsourcing of court interpreting services today: summary & report @ http://www.parliament.uk/business/committees/committees-a-z/commons-select/justice-committee/news/interpreters-and-als-report/

Aisha Maniar
Arabic to English
+ ...
One year of the privatised court interpreting services in England and Wales Feb 6, 2013

Dear colleagues,
As the first anniversary of the 5-year contract made by the UK Ministry of Justice with a certain company to outsource court interpreting services was this time last week and as the Justice Select Committee published its report
... See more
Dear colleagues,
As the first anniversary of the 5-year contract made by the UK Ministry of Justice with a certain company to outsource court interpreting services was this time last week and as the Justice Select Committee published its report today, I have written the following article: http://onesmallwindow.wordpress.com/2013/02/06/hear-no-evil-speak-no-evil-outsourcing-of-court-interpreting-services/
It's long but I've probably left things out/ misreported them, so I would appreciate any feedback.
Many thanks, Aisha

[edited for typos]

[Edited at 2013-02-06 10:41 GMT]
Collapse

Aisha Maniar
Arabic to English
+ ...
mass mailing Feb 11, 2013

Having comprehensively deconstructed this issue as it unfolded over the past year in the article I mention above (http://onesmallwindow.wordpress.com/2013/02/06/hear-no-evil-speak-no-evil-outsourcing-of-court-interpreting-services/), in which I allow the facts to speak for themselves, I have since been approached by C*... See more
Having comprehensively deconstructed this issue as it unfolded over the past year in the article I mention above (http://onesmallwindow.wordpress.com/2013/02/06/hear-no-evil-speak-no-evil-outsourcing-of-court-interpreting-services/), in which I allow the facts to speak for themselves, I have since been approached by C*****, having been identified as a "preferred supplier". Good to see they have a sense of humour. We are often warned here about mass mailing clients...Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Thank you Aisha Feb 11, 2013

... for an interesting article.

I suspect that for further action on this matter, the legal profession itself should be pursuing it and I would suggest that you try to publish your article somewhere where judges and advocates will be likely to see it.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: empty post
Aisha Maniar
Arabic to English
+ ...
for the number crunchers and lovers of statistics... Mar 28, 2013

Shared by a legal colleague:
http://www.justice.gov.uk/statistics/courts-and-sentencing/language-services-in-use
Statistics on the use of language services in courts and tribunals (30 January 2012 - 31 January 2013)
"Main Findings

During the period covered by this bulletin (30 January 2012 to 31 January 2013), there were
... See more
Shared by a legal colleague:
http://www.justice.gov.uk/statistics/courts-and-sentencing/language-services-in-use
Statistics on the use of language services in courts and tribunals (30 January 2012 - 31 January 2013)
"Main Findings

During the period covered by this bulletin (30 January 2012 to 31 January 2013), there were 131,153 requests for language services covering 259 different languages. Of these requests, 55 per cent were for criminal cases (including cases in the Crown and magistrates’ courts and requests made by prisons), 39 per cent were for tribunals cases (including immigration and asylum cases), and six per cent were for civil and family cases.

Of the total requests, 14,823 (11 per cent) were cancelled by the requesting customer (HMCTS or NOMS). Of the remaining 116,330 requests, 104,932 were fulfilled or the requesting customer failed to attend – a success rate of 90 per cent over the whole period."...

There are some pretty tables too, happy reading! Aisha
Collapse

Aisha Maniar
Arabic to English
+ ...
Latest update from the National Audit Office Jan 22, 2014

for those who are still following the issue: http://www.nao.org.uk/report/the-ministry-of-justices-contract-for-language-services-progress-update/
The National Audit Office (NAO) has today published a progress update on the Ministry of Justice and its preferred outsourcer's implementation of the recommendations it made on the out
... See more
for those who are still following the issue: http://www.nao.org.uk/report/the-ministry-of-justices-contract-for-language-services-progress-update/
The National Audit Office (NAO) has today published a progress update on the Ministry of Justice and its preferred outsourcer's implementation of the recommendations it made on the outsourcing of court interpreting services in England and Wales.
Aisha
Collapse

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 04:15
English to Polish
+ ...
My problem with that Jan 22, 2014

My problem with the UK scheme is that it's basically an 18th-century-style monopoly. Anti-trust laws were invented and put in place to prevent that sort of thing. Now those wretched tenders do away with decades or centuries of anti-trust laws and basically set up an old-style monopolist. Just make translators and interpreters public servants under a ministry instead.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Privatization of legal interpreting services in the UK

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »