Thread poster: andre_
Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:59
Spanish to English
+ ...
US? Mar 2, 2012

I really don't know about the US, but if the address to be invoiced is in the EU, we generally use the VIES base: http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/vies/

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
VAT number / upfront payment Mar 2, 2012

andre_ wrote:

Guys:

I got the job. The only weird thing is he is saying that he will send me the money upfront. Also, he gave me a VAT number, how do I know if the VAT number is correct and it belongs to his company? What information do I need in order to look it up? Thanking you in advance.

Stating a "VAT" number would be rather unusual for a client located in the United States because VAT is essentially a European term/concept. Don't you refer to this as "sales tax" in the States? Where is your client based?

Also, the mention of "money upfront" sets off the alarm bells, especially when combined with the use of payment services such as Western Union (in which case you might be in for a serious scam). Did the client specify the payment method they are going to use? Have you ascertained the client's full contact details/business address, just in case?

andre_
andre_
United States
Local time: 23:59
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Vat number Mar 2, 2012

The client is in England and they said they would mail me the money. How can I make sure it is not a scam?

nordiste
nordiste  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Use of (lot of) common sense Mar 2, 2012

andre_ wrote:

The client is in England and they said they would mail me the money. How can I make sure it is not a scam?

Do you have the client's details : name, adress, phone ? Check if they really exist (phonebook, Internet presence )

How did they find you ? Is there any logical reason why they should hire you : they are in England, you are in the US, are you near the supposed meeting venue ? Do you have a rare expertise ?

Money in form of cheque / Western Union / Travelers checks : beware !!
Too much money and they make excuse asking you to refund immediatly (accountant has made a mistake etc. ): beware (bis) ! Don't send anything back - or maybe their cheque- but check with your bank that the cheque is not a fake. These things happen...

Check the venue where the conference is supposed to take place : do they have any reservation for 3 days ? At which name ?

You can also check where the emails are send from : have a look at the full header. Does it match what the client writes ? England, really ?

Are they acting and writing as professionals do : no funny sentences or strange consideration about your health and family ... Do they really answer YOURS questions or do you have the feeling that they just follow THEIR plan ? Did you agree on all the details of the job : place, schedule, subject, rate, paiement method...

It is always suspicious to get an agreement on a quote so easily these days : usually clients bargain, ask for discount, references ... They are not in a hurry to send money up-front.

Good luck, keep us informed !

[Edited at 2012-03-02 19:12 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interpreting for a business conference meeting

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »