Robyn Auer
Robyn Auer  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:28
German to English
+ ...
Dec 13, 2015

Hello all!

I'm sure this question has been asked many times, but here goes...

What is the general opinion on trained and experienced translators becoming interpreters?

I have an MA in Translation and have been living in Germany for some seven years now. I really do eat, think and sleep German.

I was recently asked (not via Proz.) to interpret for a client of an outsourcer. I informed my them that although I was a qualified translator and inter
... See more
Hello all!

I'm sure this question has been asked many times, but here goes...

What is the general opinion on trained and experienced translators becoming interpreters?

I have an MA in Translation and have been living in Germany for some seven years now. I really do eat, think and sleep German.

I was recently asked (not via Proz.) to interpret for a client of an outsourcer. I informed my them that although I was a qualified translator and interpet for my family every time they visit Germany, I had never actually been paid to do so professionally.

Something made me say to myself; hey, let's give it a go. After all, I'd been absolutely honest about my lack of experience.

I must admit, that I had always assumed interpreting was best left to linguistic gods and not to be attempted by mere mortals such as myself. The thing is, I relished being pushed to limit. Quite frankly, I really enjoyed interpreting and have since realised that this is something that I could actually do. I do, however, need to learn some techniques, especially for improving my short-term memory.

Any suggestions on how I should go about doing this? I would consider doing an additional qualification but would need to do so from home.

Thanks,
Robyn

[Edited at 2015-12-13 22:20 GMT]
Collapse

Mariella Bonelli
Mariella Bonelli  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:28
English to Italian
+ ...
Germersheim Dec 14, 2015

Dear Robyn,

I would suggest you to consult Uni Mainz http://www.isg-uni-mainz.de/kursangebot_online.php and select Kursangebot. You can chose both Präsenzkurse and Online-Kurse. This does not give you a formal qualification - except of course if you attend their normal courses - it helps you anyway to improve your techniques. I attended more times both courses, so please c
... See more
Dear Robyn,

I would suggest you to consult Uni Mainz http://www.isg-uni-mainz.de/kursangebot_online.php and select Kursangebot. You can chose both Präsenzkurse and Online-Kurse. This does not give you a formal qualification - except of course if you attend their normal courses - it helps you anyway to improve your techniques. I attended more times both courses, so please contact me also privately if you need information from direct experience.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transition from translator to interpreter

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »