Hannah Doyle  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:06
French to English
+ ...
Nov 11, 2014

Hello everyone,

I need some help!

I've translated and am now proofreading a massive document that is packed full of proper nouns. I want to run a spell check, but obviously when I do, it flags each and every proper noun that it doesn't recognise, and because of this it is taking me ages to do.

Is there any way to run a MemoQ spell check while ignoring proper nouns?

Thanks in advance.

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 23:06
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Current spell-checkers are not that wise Nov 11, 2014

No, you can't do that; neither in memoQ nor in any other CAT tool, I think.

Every time you see a proper name shown as a spelling error, you can click on the Skip All button to ensure you are not asked twice about the same item.

Another option would be to create an Ignore List for proper names and add every proper name you encounter to it.

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
Term Extract Nov 12, 2014

Epameinondas Soufleros wrote:

(...)

Another option would be to create an Ignore List for proper names and add every proper name you encounter to it.

Yes, with the help of Term Extraction in MemoQ. Create a specific TB, retrieve the names with Term Extract and send them to the ignore list.

Mike

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
Not even possible in Word Nov 13, 2014

Epameinondas Soufleros wrote:
No, you can't do that; neither in memoQ nor in any other CAT tool, I think.

It seems it is not even possible in MS Word either, according to this discussion. Otherwise one could have exported to bilingual RTF and run a macro in Word.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
How? Nov 13, 2014

MikeTrans wrote:
Yes, with the help of Term Extraction in MemoQ. Create a specific TB, retrieve the names with Term Extract and send them to the ignore list.

But that (the portion I put in bold) would be a manual process, right?

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:06
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
fool’s errand Nov 13, 2014

Dominique Pivard wrote:

MikeTrans wrote:

But that (the portion I put in bold) would be a manual process, right?

Yeah, you could also use SynchroTerm (probably a hell of a lot better than memoQ's built in term extractor) to extract terms from the document, but it's a fool's errand, believe me (I do term extraction for a living).

Basically, you are just going to need to improve your spell-check dictionary. Either that or get really fast at skipping false positives

Michael

Second best (after Synchroterm) = http://www.nactem.ac.uk/software/termine/

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
not an easy, recommended task, right... Nov 14, 2014

Hi Dominique, hello Michael,

you are right, the operation would be manual but instead of searching in a lot of text segments, you would have a list. Not that this would make the operation easier, but it's the only alternative I see.

For practical reasons, I would go through the text and chose "Ignore All" on any instances that are not relevant for the correction, and this will not only include the proper nouns mentioned by Hannah, but also longer acronyms, company names
... See more
Hi Dominique, hello Michael,

you are right, the operation would be manual but instead of searching in a lot of text segments, you would have a list. Not that this would make the operation easier, but it's the only alternative I see.

For practical reasons, I would go through the text and chose "Ignore All" on any instances that are not relevant for the correction, and this will not only include the proper nouns mentioned by Hannah, but also longer acronyms, company names, etc, everything the speller cannot identify and out of his book.

Be it the MS Word corrector, the Hunspell, etc: The Ignore All will be reset if you close the document and re-open it. So maybe use the Windows Hibernation feature if you want to take a break.
As I have already said in another post, there is no such thing as an intelligent spell checker, a good QA requires you to go visually through the text, so you can also see if your translation is really complete.

Greets,
Mike
Collapse

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
MemoQ > QA Settings > Generate warnings for spelling errors Nov 14, 2014

Hi Hannah,

you may try to activate this setting and see if you can sort the warnings in any convenient way for you, but I doubt that this will be a big time saver.

Mike

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ spell check help

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »