How many APIs are available for MemoQ Translator Pro and for what areas?
Persoa que publicou o fío: Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 18:29
Membro (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Jul 20

How many APIs developed by third parties are available for MemoQ Translator Pro and for what areas?

To me, it seems that the usage of APIs in MemoQ (at least for the Translator Pro version of MemoQ) is not as flexible as it is in SDL Trados Studio (for which it exists a large number of plug-ins for many different areas other than only for machine-translation and dictionaries). Of course, you have these built-in APIs in MemoQ Translator Pro, but more than that you seem to not be abl
... See more
How many APIs developed by third parties are available for MemoQ Translator Pro and for what areas?

To me, it seems that the usage of APIs in MemoQ (at least for the Translator Pro version of MemoQ) is not as flexible as it is in SDL Trados Studio (for which it exists a large number of plug-ins for many different areas other than only for machine-translation and dictionaries). Of course, you have these built-in APIs in MemoQ Translator Pro, but more than that you seem to not be able to add APIs developed by third parties.

Am I wrong, are there ways of adding APIs developed by third parties in MemoQ Translator Pro? But in this case, I still cannot find APIs dedicated for MemoQ Translator Pro that have been developed by third parties.
Collapse

Mario Chávez
Mario Chávez
United States
Local time: 12:29
Membro (Jun 2024)
English to Spanish
+ ...
APIs for what purposes? Jul 20

At first blush, it seems to me that you aren't finding third-party APIs developed for memoQ Translator Pro. Aren't you finding memoQ native APIs or features sufficient enough that you wish there were third-party APIs?

It also depends on how you use a CAT tool (or TMS tool, as Kilgray calls memoQ Translator Pro). I have used both Trados Studio and memoQ full time for years and I find the latter chockfull of features and useful parameters, many of which I never use because my workflow
... See more
At first blush, it seems to me that you aren't finding third-party APIs developed for memoQ Translator Pro. Aren't you finding memoQ native APIs or features sufficient enough that you wish there were third-party APIs?

It also depends on how you use a CAT tool (or TMS tool, as Kilgray calls memoQ Translator Pro). I have used both Trados Studio and memoQ full time for years and I find the latter chockfull of features and useful parameters, many of which I never use because my workflows don't require them.

By contrast, RWS Trados Studio does not have a native API for generative AI-assisted MT that leverages current resources (termbases and translation memories). But memoQ does, starting with version 10.4.

Fredrik Pettersson wrote:

To me, it seems that the usage of APIs in MemoQ (at least for the Translator Pro version of MemoQ) is not as flexible as it is in SDL Trados Studio (for which it exists a large number of plug-ins for many different areas other than only for machine-translation and dictionaries). Of course, you have these built-in APIs in MemoQ Translator Pro, but more than that you seem to not be able to add APIs developed by third parties.

Am I wrong, are there ways of adding APIs developed by third parties in MemoQ Translator Pro? But in this case, I still cannot find APIs dedicated for MemoQ Translator Pro that have been developed by third parties.
Collapse

Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 18:29
Membro (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
INICIO DE TEMA
It would have been convenient with a wider selection of APIs for MemoQ Jul 21

For instance, the selection of plug-ins for SDL Trados Studio is quite comprehensive. The drawback though is quality and reliability - there are often bugs with those plug-ins. So perhaps one has to choose between complete reliability and ensured highest quality for the MemoQ native APIs on the one side, or a wide selection of APIs from third parties where there is a lack of control of reliability and quality as the main drawback. In light of this, perhaps the current system Kilgray uses with th... See more
For instance, the selection of plug-ins for SDL Trados Studio is quite comprehensive. The drawback though is quality and reliability - there are often bugs with those plug-ins. So perhaps one has to choose between complete reliability and ensured highest quality for the MemoQ native APIs on the one side, or a wide selection of APIs from third parties where there is a lack of control of reliability and quality as the main drawback. In light of this, perhaps the current system Kilgray uses with their native APIs is one to prefer.Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:29
Membro (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
however, RWS does have a pretty cool new ‘AI Assistant’ in Trados Studio 2024 Jul 21

Mario Chávez wrote:

By contrast, RWS Trados Studio does not have a native API for generative AI-assisted MT that leverages current resources (termbases and translation memories). But memoQ does, starting with version 10.4.

It's not quite the same thing, but I have been really enjoying Trados Studio 2024's "AI Assistant", which allows me to:

• use OpenAI's LLMs such as gpt-4o, gpt-3.5-turbo
• either on individual segments or in batch mode (memoQ's AGT only works in batch mode)
• create custom prompts (not possible with AGT)
• have any tags placed in the right place
• show any differences between AI output and what's in the target box (not possible with AGT)
• have connected termbases used to improve AI output

AI-Assistant-Trados-Studio-2024-4

AI-Assistant-Trados-Studio-2024-2

AI-Assistant-Trados-Studio-2024-3

AI-Assistant-Trados-Studio-2024

It's early days still, but the new AI Assistant is already a very cool way to use AI in my translation process.

I've tried memoQ's AGT system, but usually end up not using it as the quality was merely OK (e.g., compared to generic Google Translate), and I want to be able to use AI on an individual segment basis.

Apart from "AI Assistant", I also use AI via GT4T (https://gt4t.ai/ ), on text selections via a keyboard shortcut.

See also: https://www.trados.com/blog/new-generative-translation-capabilities-in-trados-studio/

[Edited at 2024-07-21 20:19 GMT]

---

PS: I also recently discovered this very cool looking solution to integrate AI into Trados Studio: http://www.rycat.cn/products/align.htm (called "RYSTUDIO Alatar Copilot")

It's by RYSTUDIO, whose "RYSTUDIO Post-editing Package" I am currently using in Trados Studio 2024.

See: https://community.rws.com/product-groups/trados-portfolio/trados-studio/f/studio/51825/term-recognition-does-not-work-in-certain-termbases-after-latest-update/170645

copilot_mainui (1)

[Edited at 2024-07-21 21:33 GMT]

[Edited at 2024-07-21 21:34 GMT]

Mario Chávez
Mario Chávez
United States
Local time: 12:29
Membro (Jun 2024)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Interesting Jul 21

Thanks for sharing not just your findings but the screenshots, Michael.

To be honest, I intended to use memoQ AGT's suggestions in a complementary manner, not as a substitution for TM matches. In the case at hand, more than 80 chapters amounting more than a million words, batch file processing was the way to go, but I would have to check each file for fuzzy matches coming from memoQ AGT to review and rewrite if necessary.

For the workflow I had, translating a complex CA
... See more
Thanks for sharing not just your findings but the screenshots, Michael.

To be honest, I intended to use memoQ AGT's suggestions in a complementary manner, not as a substitution for TM matches. In the case at hand, more than 80 chapters amounting more than a million words, batch file processing was the way to go, but I would have to check each file for fuzzy matches coming from memoQ AGT to review and rewrite if necessary.

For the workflow I had, translating a complex CAD software application and its hundreds of parameters, trusting MT or AI-enabled MT to run entire chapters automatically was not feasible or desirable.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How many APIs are available for MemoQ Translator Pro and for what areas?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »