Bronagh McInerney  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:40
Member (2020)
Italian to English
+ ...
May 20, 2021

Hello.
I did a short translation for an Italian company who have asked me for a VAT no. I looked into getting one but would prefer to avoid it. I am currently doing a few translations for another Italian company and it is likely that they will give me small pieces of work regularly. I'm still doing my MA so I'm a full-time student and new to freelancing. How should I invoice these companies?
Thanks

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Just tell them May 20, 2021

Bronagh McInerney wrote:

Hello.
I did a short translation for an Italian company who have asked me for a VAT no. I looked into getting one but would prefer to avoid it. I am currently doing a few translations for another Italian company and it is likely that they will give me small pieces of work regularly. I'm still doing my MA so I'm a full-time student and new to freelancing. How should I invoice these companies?
Thanks

Include the following wording on your invoice/s:

VAT not applicable

Or if that seems too simple,

VAT not applicable in compliance with UK tax rules

YOur invoices should of course be in English since for tax purposes you are resident in the UK and if anyone ever want to inspect your books, it will be HMRC (not the Agenzia delle Entrate). If you want to issue the same invoice in Italian, you can of course do so, but the one that counts is the one in English.

[Edited at 2021-05-20 10:25 GMT]

Emanuele Vacca

Bronagh McInerney
Bronagh McInerney  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2020)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the advice. May 20, 2021

Thanks, Tom.
I thought it might be terribly complicated. That's reassuring.

Tony Keily
Tony Keily
Local time: 04:40
Italian to English
+ ...
Tom's right... May 23, 2021

...according to https://www.freelanceuk.com/news/3520.shtml

The Italian companies have to look after VAT at their end (your service is provided in Italy).

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
But Anthony is wrong... May 23, 2021

Anthony John Keily wrote:

...according to https://www.freelanceuk.com/news/3520.shtml

The Italian companies have to look after VAT at their end (your service is provided in Italy).

You are resident for tax purposes in the UK and your service is provided in the UK. That's why VAT is not applicable i.e. your Italian client doesn't have to pay it.

By the way if you want to do your Italian clients a favour and win Brownie points, open a WISE account and ask them to pay the Euros into it. The bank transfer will cost them a lot less and you will get a more favourable exchange rate as and when you need to transfer the Euro into your UK bank account.

I did it recently and have just received payment of the first invoice. It was dead easy and everybody's happy.

https://wise.com/

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Invoicing Italian companies from the UK

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »