Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Overall, do you work more or fewer hours than friends and family with 9-5 jobs?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:35
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Hard to say Nov 23, 2018

I usually work at least 300 days a year, but sometimes fewer than 8 hours a day (and sometimes more).

That said, my experience working in-house in international organizations (over 25 years) is that employees spend a lot of time not on-task. For example: non-work-related phone calls, child care emergencies, medical appointments, seeing the staff nurse, chatting, hanging out at the copier or the water cooler, long lunch hours, parties to celebrate birthdays and retirements, and on a
... See more
I usually work at least 300 days a year, but sometimes fewer than 8 hours a day (and sometimes more).

That said, my experience working in-house in international organizations (over 25 years) is that employees spend a lot of time not on-task. For example: non-work-related phone calls, child care emergencies, medical appointments, seeing the staff nurse, chatting, hanging out at the copier or the water cooler, long lunch hours, parties to celebrate birthdays and retirements, and on and on.

I also worked for an international business, at a university, and in the commercial office of a consulate. In those places there was less fooling around, especially in the consulate.
Collapse

Henry Schroeder
Henry Schroeder  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:35
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
More, and I'm better off for it. Nov 23, 2018

What else would I do? Talk? Consume things, places, people I don't understand?

Better to do something you know.

People who work 9-5 or the equivalent hours do not work enough. That is one of the big problems we have around the world (along with the idea that working less is better).

[Edited at 2018-11-23 23:18 GMT]

Jennifer Forbes

Gitte Hovedskov (X)
Gitte Hovedskov (X)
Denmark
Local time: 19:35
English to Danish
+ ...
Fewer, no doubt Nov 24, 2018

I will never be motivated by earning lots of money, I have other priorities in life.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:35
French to English
Less Nov 25, 2018

I get the impression that I work far less. As an employee I would be twiddling my thumbs on a Monday morning, having finished everything up the week before, and waiting for more translations to come in, while all our clients and indeed PMs were in meetings. Now I can just get on with other stuff. Monday is often quiet so I go to yoga at lunchtime. Then I might work at the weekend (I just sent some questions to a client before coming to hang out here). If I have a job that would take me six hour... See more
I get the impression that I work far less. As an employee I would be twiddling my thumbs on a Monday morning, having finished everything up the week before, and waiting for more translations to come in, while all our clients and indeed PMs were in meetings. Now I can just get on with other stuff. Monday is often quiet so I go to yoga at lunchtime. Then I might work at the weekend (I just sent some questions to a client before coming to hang out here). If I have a job that would take me six hours straight, I prefer to spread those six hours over the weekend rather than do it all in one go on the Monday. I get a better result like that, as well as freeing me up for other work if ever it comes in.Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Overall, do you work more or fewer hours than friends and family with 9-5 jobs?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »