Bruno Pavesi
Bruno Pavesi  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:37
Member (2020)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Just started reading Jul 30, 2022

"The Formal Method in Literary Scholarship" by Pavel Medvedev. Still too early in it to give any opinion, seems interesting though.

Last one I finished was "The Bald Soprano & Other Plays" by Eugène Ionesco, that book found a little spot in my heart.

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:37
Japanese to English
+ ...
last book read Jul 31, 2022

"The Classical Tibetan Language" by Stephen V. Beyer (now an attorney in Chicago). Brilliant and organic discussion of the language often with reference to Sanskrit and Classical Chinese.

Elisa Paglia
Elisa Paglia
Italy
Local time: 17:37
Italian
+ ...
A scientific paper Jul 31, 2022

I like to read scientific papers and the last book I read was "The world without us" by Alan Weisman.

I know that they made a documentary based on this.

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 18:37
English to Turkish
Work and pleasure Jul 31, 2022

I've been reading and rereading The Flashman Papers by G. MacDonald Fraser to improve my English.
Looking forward to receiving my copy of "Bastard Copper & Other Stories" by Mervyn Henderson, CBE.

expressisverbis
Matthias Brombach
Christopher Schröder

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
Historical account Jul 31, 2022

The Anarchy by William Dalrymple is the history of the East India Company and its exploitation/pillage of that subcontinent.

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Non-fiction Jul 31, 2022

A guide for Germany with the title: "The Clean Staircase", with chapters like "Learn how to stare", "How to be rude in public" and "Neighbours and colleagues, the underestimated threat". Very recommendable for all people who consider living for a while in my country.

[Bearbeitet am 2022-07-31 12:26 GMT]

Kevin Fulton
Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Italian to English
+ ...
Ubik Aug 1, 2022

by Philip K Dick

Mariana Passos
Mariana Passos  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 16:37
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Fantasy novel! Aug 6, 2022

While I was doing my MA, I was only reading books about Theology.
This was the first book I read for pleasure in a while:
Magician, by Raymond E. Feist

I'm buying the next books on the series to read now 😊

Jocelin Meunier
Jocelin Meunier  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Purely for pleasure Aug 6, 2022

Lately I've been reading the chronics of the discworld, by Terry Pratchett, including the real-life-science heavy "science of the discworld" saga.
I'm proceeding cycle per cycle instead of the publishing order. I am now mid-way through the cycle of Death and enjoyed fondly the cycles of Rincewind and witches (granny Weatherwax is now my favorite character ever).
I recommend everyone and anyone to try it. It's fun, stupid and clever at the same time and profoundly human despite the va
... See more
Lately I've been reading the chronics of the discworld, by Terry Pratchett, including the real-life-science heavy "science of the discworld" saga.
I'm proceeding cycle per cycle instead of the publishing order. I am now mid-way through the cycle of Death and enjoyed fondly the cycles of Rincewind and witches (granny Weatherwax is now my favorite character ever).
I recommend everyone and anyone to try it. It's fun, stupid and clever at the same time and profoundly human despite the various dwarves, elves and other classical fantasy races.
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio

Metin Demirel
Metin Demirel  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 18:37
Member (2018)
Italian to Turkish
+ ...
pleasure vs challenge Aug 6, 2022

I don't know if this is a professional drawback or just an atrophy of intellectual functions on a personal level, but I am having difficulty reading for pleasure. Recently I talked to a friend about it. His job is video-editing and he says he cannot stand watching movies because all he sees is mounted graphics, which prevent him from focusing on the overall picture. Likewise, sometimes I can only see words placed here and there in a fashion to make it look like this would be the best arrangement... See more
I don't know if this is a professional drawback or just an atrophy of intellectual functions on a personal level, but I am having difficulty reading for pleasure. Recently I talked to a friend about it. His job is video-editing and he says he cannot stand watching movies because all he sees is mounted graphics, which prevent him from focusing on the overall picture. Likewise, sometimes I can only see words placed here and there in a fashion to make it look like this would be the best arrangement for them to make sense. But I must be honest. I have this problem mostly with the modern Turkish translations. Maybe that's because I involuntarily look for mistakes in the structure (and I find many even without seeing the source text). I am also dissatisfied with most of the texts written in Modern Turkish.

So I resorted to reading some material from centuries ago. I have a copy of the collection of jokes, presumably from the 13th century in Old Anatolian Turkish. I read a few random jokes every now and then. They are exorbitantly vulgar, even obscene, but they contain elements of humor and wisdom. The language is mostly challenging for today's reader due to its old age. My thinking is now that I tend to focus on the structure rather than the content and struggle with it, I might as well struggle the same way with the old literature. I also read in Ottoman Turkish. Recently I started reading the memoirs of an Ottoman ambassador to France in the 18th century. The language is really superfluous and pretentious, but also inviting and witty.

I don't read in English very often. I had started reading Gombrich's The Story of Art years ago and sometimes when I remember I haven't finished it, I pick it up and read a chapter. I've read halfway through the book in 7 years. Recently I got another book that I may finish in a few years. It's Umberto Eco's Storia della Bellezza. I've read only the first 3 chapters in two months (I am going comparably faster with this one. Maybe I can finish it this year). I had also bought the other one - Storia della Brutezza. Maybe the next year I will finish reading it, who knows?

[Edited at 2022-08-06 21:39 GMT]
Collapse

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Member (2011)
English to German
Trost aus dem Jenseits Aug 6, 2022

The last book I read was Trost aus dem Jenseits and the last song I heard was OZZY OSBOURNE - "See You On The Other Side".

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: The last book I read was

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »