Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:54
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 21, 2010

Dear colleagues and nevertheless friends, especially Finnish ones,

For the first time, today I received what it looks like the Nigerian letter scam in Finnish. I say looks like because, apart from a dozen tiny things, I can't read Finnish. The text is as follows:

Olen jäsen XXXX XXXXX alkaen Harlsden, North West London, täällä Englannissa.
Kirjoitan teille työhuoneesta, että tulee olemaan suureksi hyödyksi sekä
ja us.I löysi luovuttu summa $ 12,5 miljoonaa United valtion dollaria
 (Kaksitoista miljoonaa viisisataatuhatta Usa dollaria) tilille, joka kuuluu yksi
ulkomaisille asiakkaille Late Mr. XXXXX XXXX, Yhdysvaltain kansalainen, joka valitettavasti menetti henkensä lento-onnettomuudessa on Alaska Airlinesin lennon 261, joka kaatui tammikuussa
31 2000, myös hänen vaimonsa ja tyttärensä.

Pyydän teiltä lupaa esitellä teille lähiomaisille / Will saajan on
vainajan niin, että tuotto tämän tilin arvo on $ 12,5 miljoonaa
United State Dollars voidaan maksetaan tilillesi.
Tämä on maksettu tai jakaa näiden prosenttiosuudet, 60% minulle ja 40%
teille. Olen saanut kaikki tarvittavat oikeudelliset asiakirjat, jotka voidaan käyttää
varmuuskopioida tätä väitettä teemme.
Sinun tulee lukea lisää romahdus käyt tällä sivustolla.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska_Airlines_Flight_261 # Matkustajat

Antakaa minulle seuraavat, koska meillä on 7 päivää ajaa sen läpi.
Tämä on erittäin erittäin kiireellinen PLEASE.
1. Koko nimi.
2. Direct Matkapuhelinnumero.
3. Yhteystietosi osoite.

Terveisin,
Kollega XXXXX XXXXX
Email: XXXXXXXXXXXX

Knowing a bit of the Finnish people, having a number of Finns I consider my friends, and finding it very hard to believe that a citizen of the always honest, always law-abiding Finnish people would participate in translating the scam text to Finnish, I would appreciate it if you Finnish colleagues could tell me whether this is automatic translation or a grammatically correct text (i.e. man-made).

Thank you so much in advance!
Tomás

Merja Jauhiainen
Merja Jauhiainen  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 17:54
Member (2008)
English to Finnish
+ ...
Rubbish Mar 21, 2010

Hello Tomás,

This is one of those scam letters that keep circulating, and it certainly hasn't been translated by a human, at least not by one who knows Finnish...

You can just mark it as junk and dump it

Regards,

Merja

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Indeed Mar 21, 2010

Merja Jauhiainen wrote:
This is one of those scam letters that keep circulating, and it certainly hasn't been translated by a human, at least not by one who knows Finnish...

This is what I thought it would be! I wanted a Finn to read it and confirm that it was machine translation. Kiitos paljon Merja!

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:54
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
All languages Mar 21, 2010

I often get them in German (of which I understand nothing), French, Italian, Spanish, and even Portuguese. Either it's written in very bad English, or visibly machine-translated.

Most of it comes to the e-mail address publicly posted on my web site. As I open tht mailbox on webmail, it's easy to select such messages with one click apiece and delete them wholesale.

The unquestionable telltale sign is that these people always precede their name with a Mr., Ms., Mrs., Dr.,
... See more
I often get them in German (of which I understand nothing), French, Italian, Spanish, and even Portuguese. Either it's written in very bad English, or visibly machine-translated.

Most of it comes to the e-mail address publicly posted on my web site. As I open tht mailbox on webmail, it's easy to select such messages with one click apiece and delete them wholesale.

The unquestionable telltale sign is that these people always precede their name with a Mr., Ms., Mrs., Dr., Professor, etc. There seems to be some pervasive 'ethics code':-) , law, or rule among Nigerian scammers that such messages will be either void or ineffective unless this is included.

Once I saw a web site by someone who gets a kick out of reversing the game, i.e. either getting some cash from these scammers, or exposing them to ridicule. Maybe this guy should launch a contest for the most creative os preposterous scam offering a, say, $ 10,000 prize. What the scammers don't know is that the money will come precisely from the millions they are offering. They sound stupid enough to believe it.
Collapse

Marian Vieyra
Marian Vieyra  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:54
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
Back at ya! Mar 21, 2010

Hello Tomás,

Maybe you should reply thusly, using google:

Mitä te teette erittäin laitonta. Olen ilmoittanut teille asiaa poliisilaitokselle täällä Englannissa ja Leikkauksen suljetaan ja sinut pidätettiin.

By the way Merja, is the above Finnish any good?

Marian

Merja Jauhiainen
Merja Jauhiainen  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 17:54
Member (2008)
English to Finnish
+ ...
To Marian Mar 22, 2010

Not really

Merja

phuongcao (X)
phuongcao (X)
Vietnam
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
got some as well Mar 22, 2010

Hi,

I always got a lot of scammed emails like this on my email address, but all of them are in English but nationality is wide range from China, Taiwan, Lebanon and everywhere. Also, I got some emails from very famous NGO's as well.

Just ignore them anyway

Phuong

Harald Roald
Harald Roald  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Norwegian
+ ...
now wouldnt it be cool... Mar 22, 2010

now wouldnt it be cool...if all Nigeria scam actaully turned out to BE from Finland

Setti Mulari
Setti Mulari  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 02:54
Finnish to English
Great business idea! Jul 23, 2010

Harald Roald wrote:

now wouldnt it be cool...if all Nigeria scam actaully turned out to BE from Finland

HA HA! I think I might start doing these as a side-line!

You might enjoy checking out www.419eater.com when you have some downtime.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The Nigerian scam.... In Finnish??

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »