Scam + e-mail hijack (e-mail of a fellow Prozian!)
Thread poster: Piotr Wargan
Piotr Wargan
Piotr Wargan  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 03:30
Aug 10, 2011

Hello,

Yesterday I received a message that contained the e-mail address of a fellow Prozian as a sender's address. But was clearly not from him - a scam aimed at cheating, claiming that "I was mugged, have no money, am in another country on a business trip, please send money", and the address in one of EU countries. I tried to contact my colleague via Skype but he seems to be on holiday.

What is worse, however, is that the e-mail address he used was hijacked - I replie
... See more
Hello,

Yesterday I received a message that contained the e-mail address of a fellow Prozian as a sender's address. But was clearly not from him - a scam aimed at cheating, claiming that "I was mugged, have no money, am in another country on a business trip, please send money", and the address in one of EU countries. I tried to contact my colleague via Skype but he seems to be on holiday.

What is worse, however, is that the e-mail address he used was hijacked - I replied (checking the e-mail confirmation box) to an old mail from him sent long ago from his address (the same that was put on the scammer's message) and to my big surprise received a confirmation from a totally different e-mail address ([email protected]) !

By the way, I googled this strange address and found a blog where similar addresses are listed as used by scammers:

Here be dragons: Internet chicanery, cons and scams: Scammails K ...
1 Jan 2010 ... [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] owu_owu@
yahoo.com [email protected] [email protected] ...

chicaneryconsscams.blogspot.com/.../scammails-k-o-2010.html

Watch out!

The world has gone to the dogs it seems...

All the best,
PW
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 21:30
Romanian to English
+ ...
received the same, Aug 11, 2011

Since it looked ”fishy” I asked my fellow colleague to give me more details of what happened to her, but I wrote it in our native language. The guy had the guts to reply in EN that it is just a request for urgent help ( $2000). I proceeded just like Piotr by sending her an e-mail to another address and she confirmed that she is OK and that somebody hijacked her e-mail address.

Beware !

Ibrahim Husein
Ibrahim Husein  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:30
Kurdish to English
+ ...
Stranger than that Aug 11, 2011

Hi,

What you have raised is a good point and is unfortunately happening.

However, I came across a rather strange situation when one of those scammers sent me an email asking to hire my translation services. That person acted as if he was a Proz member. He/she gave one of our members profile on Proz as reference. He/she was asking to send him my detailed contact information, but he did not hide that he is stationed in Nigeria, while our colleagues is living in Egypt. ... See more
Hi,

What you have raised is a good point and is unfortunately happening.

However, I came across a rather strange situation when one of those scammers sent me an email asking to hire my translation services. That person acted as if he was a Proz member. He/she gave one of our members profile on Proz as reference. He/she was asking to send him my detailed contact information, but he did not hide that he is stationed in Nigeria, while our colleagues is living in Egypt.

When I communicated with the said member, he confirmed that he has sent no email in this regard.

So, you may expect such situations.

Regards,
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scam + e-mail hijack (e-mail of a fellow Prozian!)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »