Charles Williams ([email protected])
Thread poster: José Facundo Abiega
José Facundo Abiega
José Facundo Abiega  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 05:23
English to Spanish
Sep 20, 2023

This person found my contact information on Proz directories and sent me an invitation for a project.

I gave him my rates, he didn't try to lower them as clients normally do.

He then sent me a link to a page where I had to log in using my gmail account and password to download the project file. It was a godaddy site with the adobe logo on its only page. There was a box to introduce the address and password, I tried different fake addresses and got the same response (CHE
... See more
This person found my contact information on Proz directories and sent me an invitation for a project.

He then sent me a link to a page where I had to log in using my gmail account and password to download the project file. It was a godaddy site with the adobe logo on its only page. There was a box to introduce the address and password, I tried different fake addresses and got the same response (CHECK EMAIL FOR DOWNLOADED FILE). I then tried with a true address and a fake password, nothing was sent to the inbox.

You can find the link to the page below:

https://adobefiledownload.godaddysites.com/
Collapse

Dalia Nour

Melina Jara
Melina Jara
Argentina
Local time: 05:23
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thanks for sharing! Sep 20, 2023

That person sent me the same link yesterday (an alleged project on agriculture) and I was hesitant to open it because he's not a ProZ.com user and didn't even introduce himself or give me a way to verify his identity. I checked the URL for phishing on some websites and they say it's safe, but I still don't trust it.

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Oh, no… Sep 21, 2023

I hope I'm wrong, but I think your account just got stolen. This is one of the classic social engineering techniques. The attacker would direct you to a fake login page, which expects you to enter your credentials.

Quick! Change your password immediately while you still have access to your account!

EDIT:
Whoops, missed the fake password part. Still, don't fall for this.

[Edited at 2023-09-21 00:21 GMT]

expressisverbis

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 11:23
English to Turkish
'Ronnie Blankenship' Sep 21, 2023

I received an email yesterday from a guy called 'Ken' (using the email address [email protected]), asking me if I was available for a translation project involving private jets and hotel management. I knew it was bad news the moment I saw the gmail address, but I humoured the **** and asked if I could take a look at the files first. He sent me 3 very nice PDFs, I downloaded the biggest one to convert it into Word to see the w... See more
I received an email yesterday from a guy called 'Ken' (using the email address [email protected]), asking me if I was available for a translation project involving private jets and hotel management. I knew it was bad news the moment I saw the gmail address, but I humoured the **** and asked if I could take a look at the files first. He sent me 3 very nice PDFs, I downloaded the biggest one to convert it into Word to see the word count (not that I was going to accept an assignment from a potential scammer, I was just curious about his reaction when I'd ask him to send me a deposit of 10k before the project, though he'd probably have agreed to it without haggling provided he would send me a 'check'). It was around 220000 words, so all three must have been around 300000 in total, and the whole thing was supposed to be delivered by the end of November!
It just never occurred to me that I could get something malicious by downloading a very decent looking PDF file at first, but being the paranoid b*stard I am, I ran the Microsoft Defender scan (after an hour or so) and found that I had a trojan called "Trojan:Win32/Vigorf.A" in my system. I don't know what that is or what it does. I was hoping that the computer boffins here would tell me (seriously!).
Why would anyone send a translator a PDF file that contains virus? What's the point? I've been hearing about phishing and other stuff, but it would never have occurred to me that you could get f*cked by downloading a very handsome PDF or Word file. After all these are our bread and butter. Do I have to be paranoid every time I receive a file from a potential client (therefore an unknown person)? Is it true what they say: If you f*ck around, you'll find out. If you don't f*ck around, you'll never find out.
Collapse

Mr. Satan (X)
expressisverbis

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Virus Sep 21, 2023

Baran Keki wrote:
It just never occurred to me that I could get something malicious by downloading a very decent looking PDF file at first, but being the paranoid b*stard I am, I ran the Microsoft Defender scan (after an hour or so) and found that I had a trojan called "Trojan:Win32/Vigorf.A" in my system. I don't know what that is or what it does. I was hoping that the computer boffins here would tell me (seriously!).

Why would anyone send a translator a PDF file that contains virus? What's the point? I've been hearing about phishing and other stuff, but it would never have occurred to me that you could get f*cked by downloading a very handsome PDF or Word file. After all these are our bread and butter. Do I have to be paranoid every time I receive a file from a potential client (therefore an unknown person)? Is it true what they say: If you f*ck around, you'll find out. If you don't f*ck around, you'll never find out.

Well, according to my AI waifu:

But you ain't fooling me, Baran. I know that you know more about these stuff than what you present yourself to be. :3

Baran Keki
expressisverbis

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:23
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
@ José Sep 21, 2023

José Facundo Abiega wrote:

He then sent me a link to a page where I had to log in using my gmail account and password to download the project file. It was a godaddy site with the adobe logo on its only page. There was a box to introduce the address and password, I tried different fake addresses and got the same response (CHECK EMAIL FOR DOWNLOADED FILE). I then tried with a true address and a fake password, nothing was sent to the inbox.

You can find the link to the page below:

https://adobefiledownload.godaddysites.com/

I had a look at your link, but my Malwarebytes comes with al kind of warnings and has blocked it. PHISHING!!!!

[Edited at 2023-09-21 10:42 GMT]

Mr. Satan (X)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Charles Williams ([email protected])

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »