India
Local time: 12:24
Member (2020)
Hindi to Gujarati
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
I tried and now it is proven that they are fraud Mar 1

They asked $150 to transfer funds to India.
So it is proven that they are fraud.
Arne Krueger wrote:

Hi Andrea,

just had a look at your link. If I am not completely blind, there is nothing that directly hints to a scam for this entity (or whatever it may be)... The only thing that is mentioned are thoughts of users from this website.

You never know until you know... I would still try it. ^^ But as written before, start with low speed...

Arne

Arne Krueger
Raymond Azarcon

Luke Mardarowicz
Luke Mardarowicz
Local time: 08:54
Polish to English
+ ...
I decided to have some fun Mar 5

I got an e-mail with a job offer from GRAND ACHIEVE LIBERALLY AND ART this morning. Hey, when you're both a liberally and an art and have a g-mail address on top of that, you have to be legit. And it was signed by a Hookson Gilbert. If you can't trust a guy named Hookson, who can you trust?

I asked for some details. Hookson replied that they "are having 50 written text images in English we want you to translate into Polish perfectly I’m sure you can handle it?"

In a
... See more
I got an e-mail with a job offer from GRAND ACHIEVE LIBERALLY AND ART this morning. Hey, when you're both a liberally and an art and have a g-mail address on top of that, you have to be legit. And it was signed by a Hookson Gilbert. If you can't trust a guy named Hookson, who can you trust?

I asked for some details. Hookson replied that they "are having 50 written text images in English we want you to translate into Polish perfectly I’m sure you can handle it?"

In awe of Hookson's command of English and ashamed of my own, I sheepishly inquired what exactly is a "written text image". Hookson sent me a jpeg with scanned text. I didn't want to bother him with unnecessary details, so I ran a Google search to learn that this was a page from Maurice Leblanc's Arsene Lupin. This book has been translated into Polish for over a hundred years. How awesome is Hookson? He wants to provide an alternative version just in case someone doesn't like the original translation. Good guy all the way.

I eagerly confirmed that I can handle it no problem. Hookson's response? "Excellent!" At this point, it became rather obvious that Hookson is actually Montgomery Burns. But hey, everyone deserves a second chance, right?

Next, he sent me "Instructions for to follow."

I still had no idea what he was offering in exchange. When inquired, Hookson revealed that "This is a very urgent and important task .. and we need the best of you as we can afford so we will be paying per page $40 the total sum of $2,000.. Also note that the project involves story terms and such the words should be cross checked for mistakes in spellings and other casualty."

I'm never in favor of spelling (and other) casualties and decided that Hookson could use some security. I asked if we should sign a contract. Hookson agreed that "we can sign a contract agreement to build matual trust", sent me one, and asked that I "Fill it up and send back for final signature okay."

I didn't want to offend Hookson, but (against my better judgement) I decided to ask why his company (a liberally and an art!) didn't exist at the address provided in the contract. Or at any other address.

And something strange happened. Hookson stopped responding! Something must've happened to him! I fear the worst. If you're anywhere in the area or know someone who is, please check up on Hookson. Please. Hookson needs you! His last known location is 2180 49th Avenue, Rae Lakes, Northwest Territories.
Collapse

Zea_Mays
Sofia Gutkin

Pallavi Mehta
Pallavi Mehta  Identity Verified
India
Member (2020)
Hindi to Gujarati
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Don't waste your time and energy is what I can say Mar 6

Luke Mardarowicz wrote:

In awe of Hookson's command of English and ashamed of my own, I sheepishly inquired what exactly is a "written text image". Hookson sent me a jpeg with scanned text. I didn't want to bother him with unnecessary details, so I ran a Google search to learn that this was a page from Maurice Leblanc's Arsene Lupin. This book has been translated into Polish for over a hundred years. How awesome is Hookson? He wants to provide an alternative version just in case someone doesn't like the original translation. Good guy all the way.

I eagerly confirmed that I can handle it no problem. Hookson's response? "Excellent!" At this point, it became rather obvious that Hookson is actually Montgomery Burns. But hey, everyone deserves a second chance, right?

I still had no idea what he was offering in exchange. When inquired, Hookson revealed that "This is a very urgent and important task .. and we need the best of you as we can afford so we will be paying per page $40 the total sum of $2,000.. Also note that the project involves story terms and such the words should be cross checked for mistakes in spellings and other casualty."

I'm never in favor of spelling (and other) casualties and decided that Hookson could use some security. I asked if we should sign a contract. Hookson agreed that "we can sign a contract agreement to build matual trust", sent me one, and asked that I "Fill it up and send back for final signature okay."

I didn't want to offend Hookson, but (against my better judgement) I decided to ask why his company (a liberally and an art!) didn't exist at the address provided in the contract. Or at any other address.

And something strange happened. Hookson stopped responding! Something must've happened to him! I fear the worst. If you're anywhere in the area or know someone who is, please check up on Hookson. Please. Hookson needs you! His last known location is 2180 49th Avenue, Rae Lakes, Northwest Territories.

Arne Krueger
Arne Krueger
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Other Mar 6

Priya Mehta wrote:

They asked $150 to transfer funds to India.
So it is proven that they are fraud.
Arne Krueger wrote:

Hi Andrea,

just had a look at your link. If I am not completely blind, there is nothing that directly hints to a scam for this entity (or whatever it may be)... The only thing that is mentioned are thoughts of users from this website.

You never know until you know... I would still try it. ^^ But as written before, start with low speed...

Arne

Acknowledged. Thanks for sharing your experience.

María Rebol
María Rebol  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
Love, love, love your story Mar 8

Luke Mardarowicz wrote:

Sofia Gutkin
Cíntia Mello

Raymond Azarcon
Raymond Azarcon
Philippines
Local time: 14:54
Tagalog to English
+ ...
Grand Archive Library Any Feedback? Sounds scammy to me. Mar 11

I got an email just this morning, 11 Mar 2024 from [email protected].

Starts with, " hope this message finds you well. My name is Patricia Brenda, and I am reaching out to you on behalf of the Grand Archive Library based in the United States. We came across your contact information on TranslatorPub.com and are interested in potentially engaging your services as a translator for an upcoming project.
... See more
I got an email just this morning, 11 Mar 2024 from [email protected].

Starts with, " hope this message finds you well. My name is Patricia Brenda, and I am reaching out to you on behalf of the Grand Archive Library based in the United States. We came across your contact information on TranslatorPub.com and are interested in potentially engaging your services as a translator for an upcoming project.

We are currently in need of a skilled and experienced translator to assist us with a significant project, and we believe that your expertise may align well with our requirements. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss the specific details of the project further, as well as your availability to potentially collaborate with us.

Should you be interested in exploring this opportunity further, we kindly request that you reach out to our project manager for additional information and to discuss the project in more detail. You can contact the project manager via Telegram at t.me/hooksonpete.

We are having 100 written images that we need to be translated from English to Tagalog.

*Budget:$3500

*Deadline:is 7 days

*Payment method:
Bank transfer

*Payment conditions:
1: payment must be made using the list payment method.
2: project will have to be submitted in the given deadline
3: payment in advance will not be accepted project will have to pass our moderation and interviewing process before payment is made.

Thank you for taking the time to consider our inquiry. We are hopeful that we can establish a productive and mutually beneficial working relationship with you. We look forward to the possibility of working together and eagerly await your response.

Warm regards,

Patricia Brenda
Grand Archive Library
United States

Such a huge budget but deadlines seem not feasible, 7 days?
Collapse

Valery Kaminski
Valery Kaminski  Identity Verified
Belarus
Local time: 09:54
English to Russian
+ ...
'Patricia' seems to be some kind of ID Mar 13

I got a message from Nathaniel Patricia on behalf of the Grand Archive Library yesterday. But now it is based in the Netherlands. They modified the message but some sentences remain the same. The project manager's Telegram is also the same -- t.me/hooksonpete. Quite a speaking Telegram name, isn't it?

Sofia Gutkin

Shahbaz Haider
Shahbaz Haider  Identity Verified
Pakistan
Local time: 11:54
Member (2016)
Urdu to Punjabi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Telegram Message received Mar 13

Hi everyone
I also received message from them which is below, when I asked for upfront money and referred this thread he/she replied "Those are people using our company for scam", I am not working for them seems 100% scam.

We are having 100 written images that we need to be translated from English to Urdu.

*Payment method:
Bank transfer

*Payment conditions:
1: payme
... See more
Hi everyone
I also received message from them which is below, when I asked for upfront money and referred this thread he/she replied "Those are people using our company for scam", I am not working for them seems 100% scam.

We are having 100 written images that we need to be translated from English to Urdu.

*Payment method:
Bank transfer

*Payment conditions:
1: payment must be made using the list payment method.
2: project will have to be submitted in the given deadline
3: payment in advance will not be accepted project will have to pass our moderation and interviewing process before payment is made.
Collapse

Sofia Gutkin
Sofia Gutkin  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 16:54
Member (2012)
Russian to English
+ ...
Hahaha, thank you, Luke, I really enjoyed your tale! Thank you for taking the time to write it. Mar 18

Luke Mardarowicz wrote:

Pallavi Mehta
Pallavi Mehta  Identity Verified
India
Member (2020)
Hindi to Gujarati
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
new scam coming in the name of Transperfect global services Mar 18

new scam coming in the name of Transperfect global services, same mail content, same rates and terms and conditions

Cíntia Mello
Cíntia Mello
Brazil
Local time: 03:54
English to Portuguese
The Good Hookson Mar 31

So, the same happened to me. I was deleting old emails and found one about a translation job offer that I read and also got in touch with Telegram. I was really glad to see that but I know translation jobs don´t come easy, mainly for $35 per page. Of course, it was to translate "Arsène Lupin, Gentleman Burglar". Hookson McCarthy told me he / she saw my profile in Translator Pub. It is weird I don't remember this community, and even more weird that someone like me, without experience, can handl... See more
So, the same happened to me. I was deleting old emails and found one about a translation job offer that I read and also got in touch with Telegram. I was really glad to see that but I know translation jobs don´t come easy, mainly for $35 per page. Of course, it was to translate "Arsène Lupin, Gentleman Burglar". Hookson McCarthy told me he / she saw my profile in Translator Pub. It is weird I don't remember this community, and even more weird that someone like me, without experience, can handle it. Amazing!Collapse

Dr.RAGHAVENDRA H K
Dr.RAGHAVENDRA H K
India
English to Kannada
+ ...
DOn't trust this guy,its a scam.. Apr 8

Carthy Adam

7 Apr 2024, 06:00 (1 day ago)

to me

Invitation for a translation job

I hope this message finds you well. My name is Hookson McCarthy, and I am reaching out to you on behalf of the Gate 10 BRITCHES

LIBRARY,based in the United States. We came across your contact information on tanslationpub.com and are interested in potentially engaging your services as a translator for an upcoming project.

... See more
Carthy Adam

7 Apr 2024, 06:00 (1 day ago)

to me

Invitation for a translation job

I hope this message finds you well. My name is Hookson McCarthy, and I am reaching out to you on behalf of the Gate 10 BRITCHES

LIBRARY,based in the United States. We came across your contact information on tanslationpub.com and are interested in potentially engaging your services as a translator for an upcoming project.

We are currently in need of a skilled and experienced translator to assist us with a significant project, and we believe that your expertise may align well with our requirements. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss the specific details of the project further, as well as your availability to potentially collaborate with us.

Should you be interested in exploring this opportunity further, we kindly request that you reach out to our project manager for additional information and to discuss the project in more detail. You can contact the project manager via Telegram.

Telegram handle: https://t.me/HooksonMcCarthy1

Telegram Username:@HooksonMcCarthy1

Thank you for taking the time to consider our inquiry. We are hopeful that we can establish a productive and mutually beneficial working relationship with you. We look forward to the possibility of working together and eagerly await your response.

Warm regards,

Hookson McCarthy

Gate 10 British library.
Collapse

Elisabetta Roveri
Elisabetta Roveri  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2007)
English to Italian
+ ...
Very similar project for company Lionbridge.com Apr 15

Hi all,

on 6th April I've been contacted through email by Sammy Jones from Lionbridge company, for a very similar project as those metioned in previous posts, with same deadline (7 days), same flat rate (3,500 $), same conditions (no advance payment, only payment via PayPal or bank transfer, no advance payment). Despite being suspicious for the strangely high rate, I decided to accept and do the task. After I sent my translations and asked for payment, Sammy gave me the phone no, em
... See more
Hi all,

on 6th April I've been contacted through email by Sammy Jones from Lionbridge company, for a very similar project as those metioned in previous posts, with same deadline (7 days), same flat rate (3,500 $), same conditions (no advance payment, only payment via PayPal or bank transfer, no advance payment). Despite being suspicious for the strangely high rate, I decided to accept and do the task. After I sent my translations and asked for payment, Sammy gave me the phone no, email address and Telegram of the "Director of Payment", as he called him, by the name of Hookson McCarthy. I sent him an email and he replied to ma asking to send him a WhatsApp with my PayPal address, although I had already sent it through e-mail. Now, I'm wondering if it is a scam or not, since I fear that by adding his phone no to my rubrics and sending him a WhatsApp message, he might charge my phone with some expenses or copy my account details. What do you think? Has anyone ever paid you via WhatsApp?

Thank you for your replies and help,

Elisabetta
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:54
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Stop right there Apr 15

Elisabetta Roveri wrote:
on 6th April I've been contacted through email by Sammy Jones from Lionbridge company

When you hit "reply", what is the return email address that comes up?

Dan

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scam: Grand Archive Library and Art

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »