Which of these costs less: editing an subtitle or changing the voice of that subtitle?
Thread poster: jyuan_us
jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:34
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Nov 8, 2015

I was assigned a job of reviewing a video tape created by a client. I found some discrepancies between what is written on the screen and what the voice-over artist is reading out. Either having the sub-titler change the subtitle or having the voice-over artist re-tape the sentence will be OK, because the differences are pretty much preferential.

We must choose between having the sub-titler change the subtitle or having the voice-over artist re-tape that sentence. My question
... See more
I was assigned a job of reviewing a video tape created by a client. I found some discrepancies between what is written on the screen and what the voice-over artist is reading out. Either having the sub-titler change the subtitle or having the voice-over artist re-tape the sentence will be OK, because the differences are pretty much preferential.

We must choose between having the sub-titler change the subtitle or having the voice-over artist re-tape that sentence. My question is, which will cost less per line of subtitle? (please be advised that any discussion of minimum charge by the sub-titler or the voice-over artist will be irrelevant. We don't know how many sentences need to be changed. There could be only a couple, there could be a lot. We only need to know the average cost on a per subtitle line basis).

Any feedback will be appreciated.

[Edited at 2015-11-08 19:05 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-11-08 19:06 GMT]
Collapse

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
We can't answer that question. Nov 8, 2015

You need to ask the voiceover artist and the subtitler how much they would charge.

Jennifer Levey
Jennifer Levey  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 17:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
Are you sure there's a problem here that's worth solving? Nov 8, 2015

jyuan_us wrote:

I found some discrepancies between what is written on the screen and what the voice-over artist is reading out.

From what I've seen of subtitles in a huge variety of media productions in the past several decades, I venture to suggest that some 'discrepancies' are the 'norm', not the 'exception that must be erradicated'.

It matters little (if at all...) whether this is a Hollywood movie, a commercial advertisement or a 'corporate presentation to the Admin Council': the written and spoken language can/may/(sometimes must) be different - and where subtitles are involved one of the reasons may well be the strict limitation on text length.

If you think the spoken and written versions should be identical, I invite you to explain in some detail the circumstances surrounding that somewhat radical conclusion.

Jason Franzman

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:34
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Only they know Nov 9, 2015

philgoddard wrote:

You need to ask the voiceover artist and the subtitler how much they would charge.

Robin Levey wrote:

... I venture to suggest that some 'discrepancies' are the 'norm', not the 'exception that must be erradicated'.

There are seldom - if ever - sufficent characters allowed in subtitling to match the spoken word. Therefore, if the "deviations" don't contain any grave errors, and if the subtitles render the meaning of the voice over, then the video doesn't necessarily have to be edited in any way. That's just my 2 cents.

Jason Franzman

MarkRaishbrook
MarkRaishbrook
Portugal
Portuguese to English
Subtitling is usually cheaper Nov 10, 2015

jyuan_us wrote:

We must choose between having the sub-titler change the subtitle or having the voice-over artist re-tape that sentence. My question is, which will cost less per line of subtitle? (please be advised that any discussion of minimum charge by the sub-titler or the voice-over artist will be irrelevant. We don't know how many sentences need to be changed. There could be only a couple, there could be a lot. We only need to know the average cost on a per subtitle line basis).

Any feedback will be appreciated.

[Edited at 2015-11-08 19:05 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-11-08 19:06 GMT]

Thayenga is absolutely right. A subtitled passage of video will never be the same as a dubbed passage. Subtitling has to take into account reading speed, line length limitations and so on, and will therefore (usually) be a chopped down, edited version of the original. However, if you think that there are errors in the subtitling (or translation?) or that vital pieces of information have been omitted and there is time to include them, then it will be cheaper to redo the subtitles. Voice-over "artists" get paid far more than we humble subtitlers (in Europe, at least).

Jason Franzman

Mohd Hamzah
Mohd Hamzah  Identity Verified
Malaysia
Local time: 05:34
English to Malay
+ ...
Normal rate for voice over Jan 21, 2016

Hi.

Just to add into this, what is the normal rate for voice over service?

Sylvano
Sylvano
Local time: 23:34
English to French
Question not precise enough Jan 22, 2016

Mohd Hamzah wrote:

Hi.

Just to add into this, what is the normal rate for voice over service?

Hi,

Define "voice-over service"... Price for a translation for voice-over ? Fee for the voice-over talent ? Cost of the recording/mixing ? All of the above ?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which of these costs less: editing an subtitle or changing the voice of that subtitle?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »