interlinguistic subtitling
Thread poster: Subtitling2016
Jan 9, 2016

Hi everyone,

I'm a new user and i need help.

I'm a student of translation and interpretation, and the topic of my thesis concerns the interlinguistic subtitling; in particular i will write a chapter on the (linguistic and technical) analysis of subtitling in several episodes of a tv series.
There are some things I would like to understand better, like the strategies used by a subtitler, that I have to use too during my technical analysis.
Could you give me
... See more
Hi everyone,

I'm a student of translation and interpretation, and the topic of my thesis concerns the interlinguistic subtitling; in particular i will write a chapter on the (linguistic and technical) analysis of subtitling in several episodes of a tv series.
There are some things I would like to understand better, like the strategies used by a subtitler, that I have to use too during my technical analysis.
Could you give me some advices on what kind of strategies I have to use and how dealing with the analysis in general?

Thanks to all of you.

[Modificato alle 2016-01-09 12:48 GMT]

[Modificato alle 2016-01-09 14:38 GMT]
Collapse

Max Deryagin
Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 16:46
Member (2013)
English to Russian
- Jan 9, 2016

Subtitling2016 wrote:

Hi everyone,

Could you give me some advices on what kind of strategies I have to use and how dealing with the analysis in general?

Thanks to all of you.

Hi Subtitling2016,

The best person to ask this question is your thesis advisor. S/he will give you some guidance, as well as recommend relevant literature. I think the best course of action for you would be to do just that.

Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:46
English to Spanish
... Jan 9, 2016

I do not do subtitling, but here are couple of reference works you may find useful, and probably already know.

The following is a doctoral thesis:
LA SOTTOTITOLAZIONE IN DIRETTA TV
ANALISI STRATEGICA DEL RISPEAKERAGGIO VERBATIM
DI BBC NEWS
http://www.fedoa.unina.it/3271/1/Carlo_Eugeni.pdf

The following is a book (unfortunately it is out
... See more
I do not do subtitling, but here are couple of reference works you may find useful, and probably already know.

The following is a doctoral thesis:
LA SOTTOTITOLAZIONE IN DIRETTA TV
ANALISI STRATEGICA DEL RISPEAKERAGGIO VERBATIM
DI BBC NEWS
http://www.fedoa.unina.it/3271/1/Carlo_Eugeni.pdf

The following is a book (unfortunately it is out of print):
Translating for Television: A Handbook on Screen Translation
http://www.amazon.com/Translating-Television-Handbook-Screen-Translation/dp/8299708605

Good luck!

[Edited at 2016-01-09 19:10 GMT]
Collapse

Subtitling2016
Subtitling2016
Italy
TOPIC STARTER
! Jan 9, 2016

Max Deryagin wrote:

Subtitling2016 wrote:

Hi everyone,

Thanks to all of you.

Hi Subtitling2016,

The best person to ask this question is your thesis advisor. S/he will give you some guidance, as well as recommend relevant literature. I think the best course of action for you would be to do just that.

I already done. If not, why write this post?
thanks anyway.

Margarita Díaz
Margarita Díaz  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:46
French to Spanish
+ ...
Try this Jan 10, 2016

Hi, Subtitling2016.

Try this book:

Audiovisual Translation: Subtitling - Translation Practices Explained (Hardback)

Jorge Diaz-Cintas, Jorge Dias-Cintas, Aline Remael

Best of lucks!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

interlinguistic subtitling

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »