Alison Trujillo
Alison Trujillo  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:46
Member (2018)
Spanish to English
Sep 16, 2021

Hi colleagues,

Does anyone know how to export a termbase to Word or Excel in Studio 2017? Thank you!

Alison

Min Xuanping
Min Xuanping  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 16:46
English to Chinese
+ ...
Never use termbase Sep 16, 2021

I never use any termbase because this might limit the beauty of languages and mislead you to a wrong direction. I only choose the best term based on my experience, my search and my understanding.

Alison Trujillo
United States
Member (2018)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Definition of termbase Sep 16, 2021

Hello Min,
A termbase is a list of terms that a translator has chosen to use. You can further learn about the definition of a termbase on the SDL Trados website and similar sites.

Best,
Alison

expressisverbis
Jorge Payan
Recep Kurt

John Fry
John Fry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:46
Member (2010)
Japanese to English
+ ...
GlossaryConverter Sep 16, 2021

Download GlossaryConverter from https://appstore.sdl.com/language/app/glossary-converter/
Just click the "In" button, choose your termbase, and it will automatically be converted to Excel.
Best Trados App ever.

Elena Feriani
Ramona Böddeker
Stepan Konev
Darius Sciuka
expressisverbis
Jorge Payan

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 11:46
English to Russian
Also try this video Sep 16, 2021

As already mentioned above, GlossaryConverter is probably the best solution for you. Here you can find short but still clear instructions as to how to convert XLSX into STDLTB:
https://youtu.be/vYuSiN1bVfQ?t=80
and vise versa from STDLTB into X
... See more
As already mentioned above, GlossaryConverter is probably the best solution for you. Here you can find short but still clear instructions as to how to convert XLSX into STDLTB:
https://youtu.be/vYuSiN1bVfQ?t=80
and vise versa from STDLTB into XLSX (exactly what you need):
https://youtu.be/vYuSiN1bVfQ?t=128
If you still can't achieve what you want, make sure that the input (arrow down icon) and output (arrow up icon) formats include your desired file types, that is, sdltb for input and xlsx for output. If not, click the screwdriver and wrench icon to add the file types accordingly.
Collapse

expressisverbis
Yossi Rozenman

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 09:46
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Min, never say "never" Sep 16, 2021

Min Xuanping wrote:

I never use any termbase because this might limit the beauty of languages and mislead you to a wrong direction. I only choose the best term based on my experience, my search and my understanding.

You may not use other termbases provided by translation agencies or clients that you think are not good enough, but you can certainly use your own termbase, created by you only. That way you will not limit the "beauty of (your) language".
For technical translation it is quite useful, but if you work with literary translation, termbases may not be the best resource.
According to Wiki, the word "termbase" is part of terminology management. A termbase, or even term base (a contraction of terminology and database), is a system that provides a set of data consisting of concept-oriented terminological entries (or ‘concepts’) and related information, usually in multilingual format.

Stepan Konev
Kevin Fulton
Alison Trujillo

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 11:46
English to Russian
Actually the point is that... Sep 16, 2021

... a 'how-to' question expects a 'do-this-and-do-that' reply.
The reply by Min Xuanping 'I never use' answers an absolutely different [and unasked] question: 'Do you ever use...' instead of Alison's 'How to...'

expressisverbis
Kevin Fulton
Alison Trujillo

Ruth Wiedekind
Ruth Wiedekind  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:46
Spanish to German
+ ...
Exporting options under Studio 2014 Sep 16, 2021

Have you tried the integrated exporting options of Multiterm?

In the German version to be found here:

Export a termbase

Good luck, and please, tell us about your experiences with this!

Kind regards,
Ruth

expressisverbis
Yossi Rozenman

Alison Trujillo
United States
Member (2018)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Glossary Converter App works great Sep 16, 2021

Hi all,
Thanks Stepan and John for suggesting Glossary Converter and the how-to video. This worked without a hitch! Much appreciated.

-Alison

expressisverbis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to export a termbase

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »