SDL2022. Problems exporting/importing/creating new TMs.
Thread poster: Marion Lambert-Nuding
Marion Lambert-Nuding
Marion Lambert-Nuding  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:43
English to French
+ ...
Nov 13, 2023

Hi,
I've finally upgraded from Studio 2017 to Studio 2022, and I was hoping to have a good general tidy-up of TMs/termbases etc so I could be so much more productive and efficient etc.
But of course, it's Trados....

Anywway, I'm trying to export my old TMs into tmx so i can re-import them all into one general (legal) TM. I have two problems:
1. The exporting wizard exports 0 translation units, even though I can see them all open under the "Translation memories" t
... See more
Hi,
I've finally upgraded from Studio 2017 to Studio 2022, and I was hoping to have a good general tidy-up of TMs/termbases etc so I could be so much more productive and efficient etc.
But of course, it's Trados....

Anywway, I'm trying to export my old TMs into tmx so i can re-import them all into one general (legal) TM. I have two problems:
1. The exporting wizard exports 0 translation units, even though I can see them all open under the "Translation memories" tab in Studio. I go through all the exporting process, I get the window with "Exporting" at the top, the green tick against "exporting translation memory to tmx file" but at the end of the line I have "Exported 0 translation units".

2. When creating a new TM, I can't find French (France) among the tens of other French, and I can't find the English (World) target language either (I don't like segregating English into regions, too many agencies or clients do it wrong and then you can't make it work).

Any thoughts on what the problem(s) could be here?

Forever grateful...
Collapse

Xanthippe
Xanthippe
France
Local time: 07:43
Member (2008)
Italian to French
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Maybe.. Nov 13, 2023

Hello,
maybe I can help you if you speak French, we can meet on Zoom and you can show me.

I’m a Trados trainer

You can contact me via https://formation-traduction.fr

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 08:43
English to Russian
Upgrade Nov 13, 2023

1. You don't need to export your TMs to tmx. Go to Project Settings, select a TM and click Upgrade:

2. English (World) and French (France) are both available in Trados 2021. I can't say for sure if English (World) was available in Trados 2017 but I'm pretty sure French (
... See more
1. You don't need to export your TMs to tmx. Go to Project Settings, select a TM and click Upgrade:

2. English (World) and French (France) are both available in Trados 2021. I can't say for sure if English (World) was available in Trados 2017 but I'm pretty sure French (France) must be there as a core language. Probably you need to upgrade Trados. The 2017 version is obsolete now.
Collapse

Jorge Payan

Marion Lambert-Nuding
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's the point Nov 13, 2023

Stepan Konev wrote:

I would like to combine several TMs into one, so I believe I need to export them, then re-import them into the same, new TM. unless you know otherwise? I also want to use them to train OPUS-CAt, and i believe they need to be tmx for that. And anyway, the functionnality exists for a reason, and i'd like to understand why my TMs appear empty...

2. English (World) and French (France) are both available in Trados 2021. I can't say for sure if English (World) was available in Trados 2017 but I'm pretty sure French (France) must be there as a core language. Probably you need to upgrade Trados. The 2017 version is obsolete now.

The list has all the other French variants, and all the other English variants, so I'm not sure why it's not in the list, but it isn't...!

Marion Lambert-Nuding
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well, I can't really affort to pay for your time at the moment.... Nov 13, 2023

Xanthippe wrote:

Hello,
maybe I can help you if you speak French, we can meet on Zoom and you can show me.

I’m a Trados trainer

Mais merci quand même...

Xanthippe
Xanthippe
France
Local time: 07:43
Member (2008)
Italian to French
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I can help you Nov 13, 2023

Marionlam wrote:

Xanthippe wrote:

Hello,

I’m a Trados trainer

Mais merci quand même...

Je peux vous dépanner gratuitement, laissez-moi un message

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 08:43
English to Russian
Recently Used Language Nov 13, 2023

Marionlam wrote:
The list has all the other French variants, and all the other English variants, so I'm not sure why it's not in the list, but it isn't...!
Probably French (France) is in the top of the list? Check the Recently Used Languages list that goes above 'All Languages':

==================
If you want to merge several TMs into one, you still don't need tmx. Follow these steps:

1. In 'Translation Memories' view, open your TM1 that you want to update with other TMs, then right-click it and select 'Import'.

2. Click the 'Add Files...'
3. In the File name dialogue box, type * and press Enter right there. This would display all file formats including SDLTM.
4. Browse to the folder where your TM2 (TM3, TM4, TMetc.) is stored that you want to add to TM1 in step 1.
5. Select the desired TM2 (or TMs with Ctrl), click 'Open' and complete the import wizard procedure by clicking Next and Finish.

[Edited at 2023-11-13 23:25 GMT]

Ali Bayraktar
Ali Bayraktar  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
TMX import error (exported tmx from memoq) Nov 19, 2023

I have exported TM from MemoQ and trying to import into Trados.
Could you please take a look and tell me what is the problem here?
Thanks in advance,

Import failed. The file could not be processed.

System.Exception, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089

Sdl.TranslationStudio.TranslationMemoryManager

Sdl.LanguagePlatform.Core.LanguagePlatformException, Sdl.LanguagePlatform.Core, Version=1.6.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=c28cdb26c445c888

Sdl.LanguagePlatform.TranslationMemoryApi
d__95.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at Sdl.Core.TM.ImportExport.Importer.d__82.MoveNext()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at Sdl.Core.TM.ImportExport.Importer.d__70.MoveNext()
at Sdl.Core.TM.ImportExport.Importer.d__71.MoveNext()
at Sdl.Core.TM.ImportExport.Importer.d__66.MoveNext()
at Sdl.Core.Globalization.LegacyAsyncHelpers.c__DisplayClass2_0`1.b__0()
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.InnerInvoke()
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
at Sdl.Core.Globalization.LegacyAsyncHelpers.WrapUnavoidableAsyncCode[T](Func`1 fn)
at Sdl.Core.TM.ImportExport.Importer.Import(String fileName, IImportDestination importDestination)
at Sdl.LanguagePlatform.TranslationMemoryApi.TranslationMemoryImporter.Import(String fileName)
at Sdl.TranslationStudio.TranslationMemoryManager.ImportWizard.ImportJobRequest.Execute(IJobExecutionContext context)]]>

Trados Studio
Studio17
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
NULL
DESKTOP-U0CBFUV\ally
DESKTOP-U0CBFUV
True
8228692 MB

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL2022. Problems exporting/importing/creating new TMs.

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »