Páxinas no tema:   < [1 2 3 4 5]
Translator outsourced job to a colleague; what to do?
Persoa que publicou o fío: Rifraf
Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:29
German to Spanish
+ ...
Translator outsourced job to a colleague; what to do? Sep 8, 2010

Lingua 5B wrote:

Sergei Tumanov wrote:

Does the contract between Rifraf's agency and the translator in question explicitly prohibits outsorcing of translation projects to other translators?

While I understand why you are asking this, some things are a given and don't need to be put on a contract specifically.

For example, say a student cheats on their paper and brings a paper to a school that someone else wrote for them, and this student gets the highest marks and merits for it. I don't know of any specific signed contract prohibiting a student to do so, but that doesn't change the fact it's utterly unethical and wrong.

[Edited at 2010-09-08 14:11 GMT]

To outsource without the clients permission is unprofessional. However, if I never have had any complaint and there are not job confidentiality issues involved, I would not care. But I would warn her seriously about her unprofessional behaviour.

Inga Petkelyte
Inga Petkelyte  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 21:29
Lithuanian to Portuguese
+ ...
What is the worry about ?... Sep 8, 2010

I have never passed my work to anyone else but, sparing everyone from what has been already pointed out above, I would sign under every and each Katalin's word.

Straight and clear to the point.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:29
English to German
+ ...
En recordo
Of course it is a product. Sep 8, 2010

Rifraf wrote:

One could argue whether we are selling a service or a product, but that's another discussion.

You pay for a text that is flawless and ready to print. You don't pay a person for an hour of his/her time.

If you always go to the same hairdresser because you love how he does your hair, you don't want to be helped by his protégé, when he's busy, or do you?

I am wondering how many cars Henry Ford has built with his own hands.

claude
claude
Thailand
English to French
this is an agency not a translator Sep 8, 2010

I see in this thread a lot of compassion from free lance translators but this is an gency problem, with agency problems so I don't understand why so many translators try to find a solution to this problem. I am a free lance translator, I made a choice, I work for free lance translator fees, not agency fees, this means agency problems are NOT my problems, so good luck with your customer,

Wolf Kux
Wolf Kux  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:29
Membro (2006)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Use a brazilian solution Sep 8, 2010

Invite this outsourcer from outsourcer to work for your agency and change now with this two translators the translation-proofreading steps.

I think your advantages are:

two translators give, let's say about 70-90% more availability;
the old old translator could no more outsource her tasks anymore to this one;
the new one may become very satisfied receiving more earnings from you instead of his/her "friend".

The obvious disadvantage is:
... See more
Invite this outsourcer from outsourcer to work for your agency and change now with this two translators the translation-proofreading steps.

I think your advantages are:

two translators give, let's say about 70-90% more availability;
the old old translator could no more outsource her tasks anymore to this one;
the new one may become very satisfied receiving more earnings from you instead of his/her "friend".

The obvious disadvantage is:

you have to get more services for both.

If you fire this old translator, then in few weeks you may have a new competitor with lower prices than yours, just started with two people. This Martin Luther (the first german one) teaches: "make from your adversity a virtue".

On the other hand, I think that this old outsourcer may become your competitor on a not so long time frame.
Collapse

Rifraf
Rifraf
INICIO DE TEMA
PO Sep 9, 2010

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Rifraf wrote:

We never work with contracts, but for each translation job a translator receives a PO-form from us in which all the job details are listed, but there's nothing stipulated about outsourcing, however.

Why not? Not even an NDA? What is the problem then, if I may ask.

There is nevertheless a problem in this matter, at least under French law resp. jurisprudence: as soon as you are sent the PO bearing your own name and address, it implicitly means that you - and only you, not a colleague "from the left hand" - have been assigned the translation job in question, warts and all.

FWIW - legislations and interpretations may differ.

Thank you Laurent; I totally agree with you!

Rifraf
Rifraf
INICIO DE TEMA
Thank you everybody Sep 9, 2010

Thank you very much for all your input and opinions.

I talked to the translator; she understands where I'm coming from and I now at least have details on the person making the translation on her behalf. It's also become clear that she works together with a small group of translators; so when one's busy, another one will take over the job. Well, now I know about it.

The opinions in this topic differ greatly, but I'm still convinced that if an agency sends a translator a
... See more
Thank you very much for all your input and opinions.

I talked to the translator; she understands where I'm coming from and I now at least have details on the person making the translation on her behalf. It's also become clear that she works together with a small group of translators; so when one's busy, another one will take over the job. Well, now I know about it.

The opinions in this topic differ greatly, but I'm still convinced that if an agency sends a translator a translation job, for which (s)he receives a PO, that is the actual "contract" and that it's obvious that the agency expects this translator to make the translation and not outsource it to a colleague.
Collapse

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Membro (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Maybe in fact s/he was doing you a favour? Sep 9, 2010

Hi,

I know that the situation may trouble you and the title of my post may sound a bit teasingly.
But it just popped into my head that as you do not hire independent proofreader native in the target language than maybe you owe the lack of complaints to the method of work of your translator who provided you with, the so much needed, second pair of eyes?

Best Regards
Stanislaw

Mohamed Mehenoun
Mohamed Mehenoun  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
the problem is the agency Sep 9, 2010

if you didn't make her sign a confidentiality agreement, it's her right tp do business as she wants as long as she delivers good quality.

.. As for quality I see it amazing that an agency takes the job of a one man without checking it ! from my point of view you are the one misleading you're client delivring without a quality check while acting as an agency !

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
"Regular business" Sep 9, 2010

Rifraf wrote:

The opinions in this topic differ greatly, but I'm still convinced that if an agency sends a translator a translation job, for which (s)he receives a PO, that is the actual "contract" and that it's obvious that the agency expects this translator to make the translation and not outsource it to a colleague.

This too is my personal ideal of "regular business". Thanks for posting about such a delicate matter!

PS/ETA: as per confidentiality, well... I assume that each and every job entrusted to me is strictly confidential.

[Edited at 2010-09-09 10:23 GMT]

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:29
Membro (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
on substitutes Sep 9, 2010

If you always go to the same hairdresser because you love how he does your hair, you don't want to be helped by his protégé, when he's busy, or do you?

Why not? As far as I know (extrapolating from the example my wife's hairdresser), the "master stylist" (salon owner) charges a quite a bit than his or her protégé(s) do. Surely there are some people willing to save some money by using the proteges.

Sometimes my regular dental hygienist is busy at the appointment time I need, so happily accept one of her colleagues in the same dental practice on occasion, or my family doctor's partner if s/he can see me right away but there's a two-day wait for my own doctor. While there might a certain psychological comfort level to using my "regular" people, objectively I have no reason to believe that I'm not getting the same level of service.

Páxinas no tema:   < [1 2 3 4 5]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translator outsourced job to a colleague; what to do?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »