Help with research regarding crowdsourced text/subtitles translation
Autor wątku: gawronizm
gawronizm
gawronizm
Polska
Mar 29, 2015

Hello, lately I have been occupied with the topic of crowdsourcing in translations. Actually, I'm a 4th year student about to write my MA thesis in translation studies. I have a few problems and questions which I don't know whom to ask about really. For starters, I am not sure whether or not I have tackled a too ambitious topic. Theoretically speaking, crowdsourcing would have its roots in machine translations and this sort of stuff from which I could build up the theoretical part. However, I am... See more
Hello, lately I have been occupied with the topic of crowdsourcing in translations. Actually, I'm a 4th year student about to write my MA thesis in translation studies. I have a few problems and questions which I don't know whom to ask about really. For starters, I am not sure whether or not I have tackled a too ambitious topic. Theoretically speaking, crowdsourcing would have its roots in machine translations and this sort of stuff from which I could build up the theoretical part. However, I am not sure at all as to how to approach the empirical/research problem. As far as the material is concerned, I was thinking about taking the TED subtitles, which are translated by a crowd, and perhaps compare them or analize them in some way. The other option is submitting a certain piece of text to a crowdsourcing service like Duolingo and work on that. However, I am not exactly sure what I can compare or analize. I am looking for any suggestions or resources which could help me in narrowing the topic. I have skimmed through a few translation journals + google and not much is being written about crowdsourced translations so my question is: Do you know where I could find something inspiring? Any research papers would be great. I guess it is all for now, thank you for your time and answers.Collapse

Laura Messer
Laura Messer  Identity Verified
Kanada
hiszpański > angielski
literature Mar 30, 2015

I tried doing some Googling to see if I could come across any books talking about this. I did find some short discussions of this in some book results and was able to track down a couple of links to research/abstracts. Hope this helps at this stage of your process (in case you didn't already find these).... See more
I tried doing some Googling to see if I could come across any books talking about this. I did find some short discussions of this in some book results and was able to track down a couple of links to research/abstracts. Hope this helps at this stage of your process (in case you didn't already find these).

http://www.jostrans.org/issue06/art_diaz_munoz.php

http://llc.oxfordjournals.org/content/27/2/119.abstract

http://jis.sagepub.com/content/38/2/189.short?rss=1&ssource=mfr
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help with research regarding crowdsourced text/subtitles translation

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »