Thread poster: Iouri Belooussov
Iouri Belooussov
Iouri Belooussov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 12:26
English to Russian
Apr 19, 2005

Dear colleagues,

Sorry for now if this has already been in the topics.

My issue is that my client wants me to send him my Wordfast TM as a txt file not aligned for use in his Trados. My current Wordfast TM is a txt file but it's aligned and I cannot figure out the to make that txt file not aligned. Simple that might be but cannot find the clue really.

I offered him my TM as a tmx file, but he needs txt.

Many thanks,

Yuri

00000000 (X)
00000000 (X)
English to French
+ ...
Question Apr 19, 2005

Does your TM contain only translation done for the client?

If so, the client can get all the TU's into his onw Trados TM by cleaning the uncleaned files you got from translating with Wordfast. They are exactly the same.

If not, the client has no business asking you for your TM.

Best,
Esther

Anjo Sterringa
Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:26
English to Dutch
+ ...
Send the uncleaned translated file Apr 20, 2005

I do not understand how a TM could be 'not aligned', but the easiest way to do this is the way Esther says: send the client the uncleaned translated file, he/shen can then make a new TM or add it to an existing TM, in the correct version etc.
I have TRADOS but I do not like working with it, so I often send my uncleaned texts (translated in Wordfast).
The client can then use the text, create a TM, a translation etc.
As far as I know TRADOS does not read a TM in .txt format, at
... See more
I do not understand how a TM could be 'not aligned', but the easiest way to do this is the way Esther says: send the client the uncleaned translated file, he/shen can then make a new TM or add it to an existing TM, in the correct version etc.
I have TRADOS but I do not like working with it, so I often send my uncleaned texts (translated in Wordfast).
The client can then use the text, create a TM, a translation etc.
As far as I know TRADOS does not read a TM in .txt format, at least my version (6.5.5) only recognises .tmw files.
HTH, Anjo
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:26
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Perhaps the client wants a Trados TXT file? Apr 22, 2005

Iouri Belooussov wrote:
My issue is that my client wants me to send him my Wordfast TM as a txt file not aligned for use in his Trados.

I have on idea what the client means by "non-aligned TM". A TM is always aligned. A non-aligned TM would be monolingual, right?

But perhaps the client means that he doesn't want a WF TM or a TMX TM, but a Trados TXT TM instead. WF can't generate a Trados TXT TM, but AFAIK Oliphant can.

Iouri Belooussov
Iouri Belooussov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 12:26
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all Apr 22, 2005

Dear colleagues,

Thank you all very much indead. The client needed the uncleaned files. As simple as that.

Regards,

Yuri

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The client needs my Wordfast TM as txt file not aligned for his Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »