Opening european bank account living Russia? It is possible
Thread poster: arterm
arterm
arterm  Identity Verified
Serbia
Local time: 20:02
English to Russian
Dec 8, 2003

Just wanted to ask if it is ever possible living in Russia to open bank account in europe to receive payment from local clients.
The thing is that Russian banks do not have SFWIFT codes and transferring money to Russia is a headache for many clients.

Goodgle search about online bank applications was not very successful. Any sugeestions?

Thanks, Arterm Sedov

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
Try moneybookers.com Dec 8, 2003

You can try http://www.moneybookers.com/app/help.pl?s=fees

I uesd it a few times, it works well.

Good luck.

Michael Jelnov
Michael Jelnov  Identity Verified
Kazakhstan
Local time: 00:02
Member (2008)
English to Russian
What for? Dec 11, 2003

Arterm Sedov and Elena Sedova wrote:

Just wanted to ask if it is ever possible living in Russia to open bank account in europe to receive payment from local clients.

Yes it is possible, although not directly - you'll have to use some intermediary or travel to Europe yourself.

The thing is that Russian banks do not have SFWIFT codes and transferring money to Russia is a headache for many clients.

Come on. I don't know where in Russia you live, but even in any (even the most distant) branch of the most conservative and "user-unfriendly" Russian Sberbank they let you accept an international wire transfer - yes, using SWIFT. Probably you just were unlucky with that particular manager who told you the nonsense of banks in Russia not using SWIFT.

Goodgle search about online bank applications was not very successful. Any sugeestions?

No need for online banks here - try to find a local branch of Alfa-bank or Guta, open an account and don't ask them about SWIFT - ask them what you would need to tell a sender to receive money from abroad.

arterm
arterm  Identity Verified
Serbia
Local time: 20:02
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
about Alfa bank Jan 23, 2004

Just a note
Alfa bank in our region not only has a SWIFT code but it does not even has normal accounts in USD.
The data that they give us to send to a payee is incredible and most of people just can not understand how exactly Alfa bank "washes" money in Russia and in particular how to use the chain of transfers to Alfa bank

Michael Jelnov
Michael Jelnov  Identity Verified
Kazakhstan
Local time: 00:02
Member (2008)
English to Russian
For your information Jan 23, 2004

Arterm Sedov and Elena Sedova wrote:

Just a note
Alfa bank in our region not only has a SWIFT code but it does not even has normal accounts in USD.

Strange enough, they don't call it "accounts". They call it "deposits". It can't be that they don't let you have a deposit in USD. And "sending money to your account" is "funding your deposit" in their language.

The data that they give us to send to a payee is incredible and most of people just can not understand how exactly Alfa bank "washes" money in Russia and in particular how to use the chain of transfers to Alfa bank

I believe you just don't understand each other. I've been using Alfa for about three years to receive money from my overseas clients and to withdraw the money both via bank offices and via credit card at ATMs - NO PROBLEM WHATSOEVER.

FYI, here is the "chain of transfers"

Correspondent banks (for USD):
1) HSBC BANK USA, NEW YORK
452 5th Avenue Floor 5, New York, NY, USA
SWIFT Code MRMD US 33
Account # 000303402 of ALFA-BANK, Moscow

2) CHASE MANHATTAN BANK
New York, 4, New York Plaza, New York, NY, 10004, USA
SWIFT Code CHASUS33
Account # 400927098 of ALFA-BANK, Moscow

Beneficiary bank:
ALFA BANK
Swift code: ALFARUMM
(here goes your local branch details)

P.S. Please note that the above is true for their Moscow head office. I think it's the same for their local branches, but I'm not sure.

Good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Opening european bank account living Russia? It is possible

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »