Thierry LOTTE
Thierry LOTTE  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:55
Member (2001)
English to French
+ ...
May 17, 2002

Hello dear coleagues

Anybody could tell me how much could I charge (in Euros) for a proofreading Eg>french ??

There are about 4500 source words. Should i charge by source words ?

The problem is that I have absolutely no idea.

I leave in Spain and the proces are very low here.

Thanks in advance to all and best regards

Thierry LOTTE

Erika Pavelka (X)
Erika Pavelka (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:55
French to English
Charge per hour May 19, 2002

Hi Thierry,

It\'s best if you charge an hourly rate for proofreading and editing jobs. As for a rate in Euros, I\'m not exactly sure (it would also depend on where your client is located), but I\'d say at least 20 Euros per hour, maybe even 30. I\'ll let European translators give you a better idea.

I hope that helps,

Erika

jccantrell
jccantrell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:55
Member (2005)
German to English
agree, charge by the hour May 20, 2002

In my experience, proofreading can be fast, if the translation is good, or slow as molasses in January. As a result, you should always charge by the hour.

If the translation is bad, inform the customer immediately so the customer can make the call of whether spending money on proofreading or a retranslation is worth it.

To determine a rate, take your translation charge, figure out how many hours it would take to do a specific number of words (including
... See more
In my experience, proofreading can be fast, if the translation is good, or slow as molasses in January. As a result, you should always charge by the hour.

If the translation is bad, inform the customer immediately so the customer can make the call of whether spending money on proofreading or a retranslation is worth it.

To determine a rate, take your translation charge, figure out how many hours it would take to do a specific number of words (including lookup, proofreading, etc.) and that is your hourly rate.

With this rate, you make as much as you would translating, and you get a clearer picture of whether you are making money or just spinning your wheels.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

proofreading rates

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »