Certain PMs close POs only after checking the submitted files, but sometimes it takes weeks.
Thread poster: leimarina
leimarina
leimarina  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:28
English to Russian
+ ...
Aug 26, 2021

Hello,

I have been collaborating with a big agency that works with POs. I am getting paid only when the PO is closed and it's 45 days after the PO closure. While certain PMs close the POs immediately upon task submission, others only close it once they review the submitted files. First of all, the PO can be changed or canceled even after it's closed, and second, if they choose this way of handling tasks, shouldn't they review the files within a reasonable timeframe? Say, one-two bu
... See more
Hello,

I have been collaborating with a big agency that works with POs. I am getting paid only when the PO is closed and it's 45 days after the PO closure. While certain PMs close the POs immediately upon task submission, others only close it once they review the submitted files. First of all, the PO can be changed or canceled even after it's closed, and second, if they choose this way of handling tasks, shouldn't they review the files within a reasonable timeframe? Say, one-two business days? Also I already had instances when it was payment due date and I discovered the PO was never closed. Many times I have to send reminders after a couple of days, and they usually respond immediately. This time I had particularly unpleasant experience with one of the PMs. I've done a small review task (less than 500 words), and I didn't get neither a receipt confirmation nor the PO closure notification email. By the end of the second business day I contacted the PM, who only responded after the second reminder in a very condescending manner that it will be closed once they do the quality check. When I pointed out that it's a small task that I submitted almost 2 days ago, he cited me part of the agreement where it's written that the PO amount can be changed or canceled if there are quality issues. And he wrote me that they don't close POs until they check the files because otherwise the service provider may not answer any follow up questions. Again, my question was when should I expect this job to be closed.
It's still not closed, by the way.
Do you find this appropriate? Have you been through a similar experience?
Collapse

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
That's intentionally abusive nonsense Aug 27, 2021

Although don't forget good old incompetence, too.

I have one client whose MemoQ server setup is notorious for "un-delivering" delivered files and reversing confirmation on POs...due to a well-known recurring bug.

Not because anyone is unhappy with the work or company policy or anything of the sort. PMs are like "yeah we know, it's a bug, IT claims they're working on it...".

[Edited at 2021-08-27 08:37 GMT]

leimarina
Philippe Etienne

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:28
English to French
Read the "onboarding" paperwork Aug 27, 2021

Some "big" agency names spring to mind. They use cloud management platforms and operate on the basis that their (usually long) credit countdown starts from the moment the PM approves the translation, the end client validates the translation or the US ambassador in your country of residence acknowledges receipt of your translation. And since you have no way of checking when the powers in charge actually give the OK to your translation, they might as well use that as a cashflow adjustment variable... See more
Some "big" agency names spring to mind. They use cloud management platforms and operate on the basis that their (usually long) credit countdown starts from the moment the PM approves the translation, the end client validates the translation or the US ambassador in your country of residence acknowledges receipt of your translation. And since you have no way of checking when the powers in charge actually give the OK to your translation, they might as well use that as a cashflow adjustment variable.

I had the experience with another "big agency" 10-15 years ago: after the first invoice, I was answered along the same lines. Second invoice, another significant delay in paying. Third, again. I requested they removed me from their supplier list.

If you think you alone should be in control of your income and you don't read anywhere HOW MANY DAYS the agency pays AFTER INVOICE DATE RECEIPT, then situations like the one you describe are bound to happen. Besides, make sure the "invoice date" is not the date at which the corporate head of regional certified accounting team leaders decides s/he receives it.

There is no limit to how far can too far go when buyers are used to dictate their sellers' working conditions.

Philippe
Collapse

leimarina
Adieu
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Thayenga
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

leimarina
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My dilemma is that it's a regular client who started acting like this Aug 27, 2021

I am currently working with regular clients only. Those that I have long established relationship with. The problem is that this particular agency is also my regular client. I have been working with them for years, while the issue that I described has started about a year ago. I would say that about 60% PMs are OK, but there are those 40% that make me chase after them, "forget" to close the PO or take their time closing it. The last case, which I described, is the worst. I wonder if I should con... See more
I am currently working with regular clients only. Those that I have long established relationship with. The problem is that this particular agency is also my regular client. I have been working with them for years, while the issue that I described has started about a year ago. I would say that about 60% PMs are OK, but there are those 40% that make me chase after them, "forget" to close the PO or take their time closing it. The last case, which I described, is the worst. I wonder if I should continue collaborating with them...Collapse

Vladimir Pochinov
Vladimir Pochinov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 02:28
English to Russian
If they are unwilling to change this practice, drop them like a bad apple Aug 27, 2021

Over the last ten years, I dropped a dozen agency clients for various reasons, including the situations similar to what you describe.

leimarina
Philippe Etienne
Philip Lees

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 01:28
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@leimarina Aug 27, 2021

After a few bad experiences with big agencies and their platforms I dropped them and decided to only work with smaller size agencies: you get a more enjoyable personal relationship!

Angus Stewart
Philippe Etienne
Philip Lees

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 00:28
Japanese to English
No need Aug 27, 2021

leimarina wrote:

I am currently working with regular clients only. Those that I have long established relationship with. The problem is that this particular agency is also my regular client. I have been working with them for years, while the issue that I described has started about a year ago. I would say that about 60% PMs are OK, but there are those 40% that make me chase after them, "forget" to close the PO or take their time closing it. The last case, which I described, is the worst. I wonder if I should continue collaborating with them...

Why not take jobs from the good PMs and decline the ones from the bad ones? And let them know why, to boot?

Anna Jaffe
Philippe Etienne

leimarina
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I am trying to accept job from trustworthy PMs only, but I am being constantly contacted by new PMs Aug 27, 2021

I am trying to do this, but this is a large agency and I am being constantly contacted by new PMs that I wasn't familiar with before.
Many times I complete one task only for a certain PM...So the current situation is that each time I get a gob offer from another new PM from this agency, I can never be certain how it goes this time. I really don't know if I should continue giving them chances to improve their practices for the sake of the previous collaboration, or should I give up on them
... See more
I am trying to do this, but this is a large agency and I am being constantly contacted by new PMs that I wasn't familiar with before.
Many times I complete one task only for a certain PM...So the current situation is that each time I get a gob offer from another new PM from this agency, I can never be certain how it goes this time. I really don't know if I should continue giving them chances to improve their practices for the sake of the previous collaboration, or should I give up on them...
By the way, the situation I described in my first post still remains unresolved. I actually wrote to that PM how offensive this sounds to a service provider who stands by his commitments, and that I have been waiting for two days already for this tiny job to be closed.
I didn't get any response and now it's already three days since I submitted this job. I am afraid that I lost it here
Collapse

Adieu

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Certain PMs close POs only after checking the submitted files, but sometimes it takes weeks.

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »