Delivery of Wordfast translations.....
Thread poster: Kimmy
Kimmy
Kimmy
Local time: 18:21
Italian to English
+ ...
Mar 1, 2005

I have a really slow connection today so do excuse if I am asking something already covered.

I have just downloaded the trial version to do a very repetitive job and have almost completed it! Until something struck me dumb!

How do I deliver this job so that it is EXACTLY the same format as the original file (.doc)??????
Or do I have to deliver in Wordfast mode?
Looks awful!

Man I feel stupid!!!

Dan Marasescu
Dan Marasescu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 10:21
Member (2003)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Cleaning Mar 1, 2005

Hi, Kimmy,

You will need to clean up (Wordfast/Tools menu or "quick clean" command on the toolbar) your translation. That will leave you with the target text only in the original format.

You'll find a lot of useful information in the free manual, downloadable at www.wordfast.net

I hope you'll enjoy Wordfast.
Best,
Dan

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 11:21
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Did the client ask you to use Wordfast or Trados? Mar 2, 2005

If so, perhaps the client wants the file uncleaned. But if you the client does not know you're using CAT, deliver a cleaned file. It's all explained in the manual.

Kimmy
Kimmy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Mar 2, 2005

I'll have a look now! I did download it but after a quick read through nothing jumped out at me!

What if I have pressed "next" but then realised that a term i used is wrong. How do i change that so it reflects in my TM?

Kim

Dan Marasescu
Romania
Member (2003)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Go back Mar 2, 2005

Kimmy wrote:

I'll have a look now! I did download it but after a quick read through nothing jumped out at me!

What if I have pressed "next" but then realised that a term i used is wrong. How do i change that so it reflects in my TM?

Kim

You can go back with Alt-Up Arrow. That's one of the good things not available in Trados.

Dan

Kimmy
Kimmy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yep I saw that but..... Mar 2, 2005

I was wondering about when you finish for the day and go back the next day and realise that something is wrong......

what happens then?

Dan Marasescu
Romania
Member (2003)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Well Mar 2, 2005

You re-open that segment and edit it. You can close and open segments at any time. Unless you have cleaned the document already.

Kimmy wrote:

I was wondering about when you finish for the day and go back the next day and realise that something is wrong......

what happens then?

Kimmy
Kimmy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'm so confused! Mar 2, 2005

Sorry dan! You'r probably cursing me at the moment!
But if I reopen a file I translated yesterday an dclick "EDIT" I get a window entitled:
"Translation memory XXX units" with a list of all the terms/phrases in the TM!
If I position over one I wish to edit and click open I open a further "open" window for a .txt doc of the TM!

Shouldn't my editing of segmetn occur in the actual document I am translating and not directly in the TM?????

I can't find any
... See more
But if I reopen a file I translated yesterday an dclick "EDIT" I get a window entitled:
If I position over one I wish to edit and click open I open a further "open" window for a .txt doc of the TM!

Shouldn't my editing of segmetn occur in the actual document I am translating and not directly in the TM?????

I can't find anything in the manual about this!

Kim
Collapse

Kimmy
Kimmy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Further.... Mar 2, 2005

I did a quick clean up after changing a term in the TM window and it didn't automatically replace the old incorrect term with the new one!

What am I missing here???

Dan Marasescu
Romania
Member (2003)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Hmm Mar 2, 2005

Kimmy wrote:

I can't find anything in the manual about this!

Kim

Don't worry, we are here to help. If we can.
It seems to me that you are opening the TM file instead of the actual translation file. Try to open the good file. All the work should be right there. The segment will be open if you have not closed it before closing the file. In this case, you should go back to the segment you want to edit using Alt - Up Arrow.

HTH,
Dan

Dan Marasescu
Romania
Member (2003)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Quick clean-up Mar 2, 2005

The quick clean-up command does not save the changes in the TM. For that, you should use the main clean-up command (Wordfast/Tools) It's all explained in the manual.

Kimmy wrote:

I did a quick clean up after changing a term in the TM window and it didn't automatically replace the old incorrect term with the new one!

What am I missing here???

Dan Marasescu
Romania
Member (2003)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Got it now Mar 2, 2005

You shouldn't have pressed Edit TM. Just go to your segment and edit it directly. You don't even have to open the segment.

If you are using version 5.0, you can use F10 to mark a segment that you want to go back to later. Read about provisional segments in the manual.

[Edited at 2005-03-02 09:37]

Kimmy
Kimmy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I think I may have organised it!!!! Mar 2, 2005

Thanks!

Last question for the morning!!!

Can I use the WORD "search and replace" function when in wordfast and still cause the TM to update?
I have a term to change that appears EVERYWHERE in 47 cartelle and to go through each segment manually is time consuming!

Dan Marasescu
Romania
Member (2003)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Yes, you can Mar 2, 2005

If it's just one word and you want to make sure you update the TM, use Edit TM on the Toolbar.

Kimmy wrote:

Thanks!

Last question for the morning!!!

Can I use the WORD "search and replace" function when in wordfast and still cause the TM to update?
I have a term to change that appears EVERYWHERE in 47 cartelle and to go through each segment manually is time consuming!

Kimmy
Kimmy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks again Dan... Mar 2, 2005

Just send your invoice to me ok???

I read about provisional segments but it was AFTER I had highlighted areas/terms I was not sure about!!!!!
Typical me! Jumping right in and crashing!

Kim

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Delivery of Wordfast translations.....

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »