Pandora's Box - Placeables
Thread poster: babs guzman
babs guzman
babs guzman  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:12
French to English
Aug 6, 2006

Hi again,
Been practising with Wordfast (just downloaded trial version yesterday, and have learned a few tricks already, it's a lot of fun), but here's one more thing that puzzles me. It's obliging me by copying numbers as placeables, but why isn't it recognizing proper nouns as placeables. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I thought that by clicking on "PB", it will automatically copy numbers, proper nouns and those in TM. But it's only recognizing numbers. Why won't it recognise pr
... See more
Hi again,
Been practising with Wordfast (just downloaded trial version yesterday, and have learned a few tricks already, it's a lot of fun), but here's one more thing that puzzles me. It's obliging me by copying numbers as placeables, but why isn't it recognizing proper nouns as placeables. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I thought that by clicking on "PB", it will automatically copy numbers, proper nouns and those in TM. But it's only recognizing numbers. Why won't it recognise proper nouns? Am I missing a step?
Thanks for your comments/advice in advance.
Babs (sharon)
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Proper nouns are not considered as placeables Aug 7, 2006

Hi Babs,

Proper nouns are not considered to be placeables by CAT tools - simply because they are not smart enough to differentiate proper nouns from the rest. Even if they were, some proper nouns are translatable, some are not, and it this case, they are definitely too dumb to make the difference, since placeables are, by definiton, non translatable.

For example, the World Health Organization is not necessarily a proper noun in the sense that it may be translatable. In
... See more
Hi Babs,

Proper nouns are not considered to be placeables by CAT tools - simply because they are not smart enough to differentiate proper nouns from the rest. Even if they were, some proper nouns are translatable, some are not, and it this case, they are definitely too dumb to make the difference, since placeables are, by definiton, non translatable.

For example, the World Health Organization is not necessarily a proper noun in the sense that it may be translatable. In this example, it is translatable - in French, it is l'Organisation mondiale de la santé. However, placeables are something other than proper nouns. They are simply values that are invariable no matter what language you use. This means that they are basically numbers and codes, nothing more.

Viktoria, Babs and the Empire State Building are not considered to be placeables. B2-B6, 47 m and 2006 are considered to be placeables.

Have fun learning!

Viktoria

[Edited at 2006-08-07 00:58]
Collapse

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:12
English to Czech
Glossary Aug 7, 2006

babs guzman wrote:

I thought that by clicking on "PB", it will automatically copy numbers, proper nouns and those in TM. But it's only recognizing numbers. Why won't it recognise proper nouns? Am I missing a step?
Thanks for your comments/advice in advance.
Babs (sharon)

Wordfast recognize your terms in opened segment and in your glossary. You can put into glossary proper noun, your name and everything you want to be recognised.

Milan

babs guzman
babs guzman  Identity Verified
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Pandora's Box - Placeables Aug 7, 2006

Hi Viktoria,
Hi, I was surprised to see the Quebec flag as your avatar. I also live in Quebec, in Ville St. Laurent - about 15 minutes from Montreal. C'est tres agreable d'avoir une autre membre d'ici!
I believe you're 100% correct. I reviewed the manual and it does not list proper nouns as placeables, only numbers, web addresses and fields (whatever "fields" means).
I have contacted someone from Granby to do a training session for me, but he's not available till end of Augu
... See more
Hi Viktoria,
Hi, I was surprised to see the Quebec flag as your avatar. I also live in Quebec, in Ville St. Laurent - about 15 minutes from Montreal. C'est tres agreable d'avoir une autre membre d'ici!
I believe you're 100% correct. I reviewed the manual and it does not list proper nouns as placeables, only numbers, web addresses and fields (whatever "fields" means).
I have contacted someone from Granby to do a training session for me, but he's not available till end of August. Until then, I'll have to continue practising and playing with it!
Thanks for your comments.
Babs
Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

Hi Babs,

For example, the World Health Organization is not necessarily a proper noun in the sense that it may be translatable. In this example, it is translatable - in French, it is l'Organisation mondiale de la santé. However, placeables are something other than proper nouns. They are simply values that are invariable no matter what language you use. This means that they are basically numbers and codes, nothing more.

Viktoria, Babs and the Empire State Building are not considered to be placeables. B2-B6, 47 m and 2006 are considered to be placeables.

Have fun learning!

Viktoria

[Edited at 2006-08-07 00:58]
Collapse

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:12
German to English
+ ...
Fields come from Word, not Wordfast Aug 7, 2006

babs guzman wrote:
I reviewed the manual and it does not list proper nouns as placeables, only numbers, web addresses and fields (whatever "fields" means).

A "field" is the concept/object "field" as defined by Word. In Word2000, they can be inserted into a document using "Field..." in the Insert menu. They are for containing certain kinds of text that result from a calculation done for you by Word, e.g. the date, the filename, a table of contents. There are some types that have a result that is not actual text. The only one of this type I can think of just now is the "Advance" field that can be used to position text up, down, left or right relative to other text.
There's something about these fields in the Wordfast user guide (p.66 in my English version).
There's also Help about fields in the Word help, if you want to pursue this.
HTH
Oliver

[Edited at 2006-08-07 21:40]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pandora's Box - Placeables

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »