Pilar Dueñas
Pilar Dueñas  Identity Verified
Costa Rica
Local time: 11:04
Spanish to English
+ ...
May 17, 2023

Hello,
I've been doing some MTPT for a company that requires that I paraphrase most of the translated segments. So even is the translation is perfect and there is no other way to say the same thing without substantially changing the meaning conveyed in the original, I'm still supposed to paraphrase.
I'm trying to understand how my work trains the software so that it produces better translations. :/
Has anybody on here come across this issue?

Elena Feriani
Elena Feriani
Italy
Local time: 19:04
French to Italian
+ ...
Not normal May 17, 2023

They should pay full price for that, not your MTPE rate.

expressisverbis
Stepan Konev
Lisette Vogler-Chase
Jorge Payan
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
philgoddard
Yaotl Altan

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
... May 17, 2023

You don't only have to translate, but you have to consider the MT output as a negative factor which is taking away options?

I would charge about 150 % of my regular rate for this.

Stepan Konev
Sara Massons
expressisverbis
Philip Lees
Philippe Etienne
Emanuele Vacca
philgoddard

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
AI Training May 17, 2023

I think you are training an AI, which is a different job and more in the writing and rewriting area. Nothing to do with translation. Hourly rates for this start at $50 minimum. It doesn't make a translation better, it teaches the machine how a sentence can be rearranged and trains it into some syntax patterns.

Sara Massons
expressisverbis
Adam Dickinson
Zea_Mays
Eugenio Garcia-Salmones
philgoddard

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 20:04
English to Russian
Don't accept what you believe is wrong May 17, 2023

I don't mind using MT as a tool for translation purposes, but I only accept two categories: the translation is fine and the translation is not fine. All other criteria like "your translation sounds somewhat similar to MT" or "it resembles me of ... you name it" are just stupid to me. If they want you to use a different wording, then why on earth they pre-translate the job with their MT? I would turn down that sort of job unless their rate outweighs the stupid nature of that work.

Sara Massons
Jan Truper
expressisverbis
Lieven Malaise
Philip Lees
Kay Denney
Jorge Payan

Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
Local time: 20:04
English to Russian
+ ...
How do they define "most"? May 17, 2023

Pilar Dueñas wrote:

I've been doing some MTPT for a company that requires that I paraphrase most of the translated segments. So even is the translation is perfect and there is no other way to say the same thing without substantially changing the meaning conveyed in the original, I'm still supposed to paraphrase

And are those segments short, everyday phrases rather than fully developed sentences with stylistic nuances and terminological intricacies, so AI is really able to produce many "perfect" translations that don't need rephrasing at all? On the other hand, if a segment contains a word or collocation that translates straightforwardly, do you still have to come up with a paraphrase in most instances? I'm joining the bunch of people who can't quite figure out what this job is about. When I'm working with MT output on my projects, I do major changes to most segments without anyone requiring me to do so. In fact, the ratio of segments with sentences that remain unchanged is usually way less than 10%. Don't know anything about AI's performance in the Eng-Esp pair, but Spanish definitely builds thoughts differently from English

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. May 18, 2023

There was a thread on this recently and someone said that in order to get paid for segments he had to change something. So the MT translation was fine, but he had to edit it into nonsense just to get paid.

philgoddard

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Post-editing distance stay way May 18, 2023

Yes, "post-editing distance" as I think it is called is such a bullshit concept. When post-editing, you're supposed to use the MT output as much as possible. But then you get punished for working efficiently and making the fewer possible edits for achieving the required quality/result?

Just nonsense. Better pick a metric that is actually aligned with the translator's interests, not actively self-serving agencies.

Edit: but I'm not sure this applies here.

[Edited
... See more
Yes, "post-editing distance" as I think it is called is such a bullshit concept. When post-editing, you're supposed to use the MT output as much as possible. But then you get punished for working efficiently and making the fewer possible edits for achieving the required quality/result?

Just nonsense. Better pick a metric that is actually aligned with the translator's interests, not actively self-serving agencies.

Edit: but I'm not sure this applies here.

[Edited at 2023-05-18 08:58 GMT]
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Stepan Konev
philgoddard

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Exactly May 18, 2023

Lingua 5B wrote:

I think you are training an AI, which is a different job and more in the writing and rewriting area. Nothing to do with translation. Hourly rates for this start at $50 minimum. It doesn't make a translation better, it teaches the machine how a sentence can be rearranged and trains it into some syntax patterns.

If the MT output is "This apple is not green." you have to rewrite this, for example as "This apple has a different color from green".
If you put the latter in DeepL with for example DE as target, it shows you the former among the possible alternatives.

[Bearbeitet am 2023-05-18 10:56 GMT]

Yaotl Altan

Pilar Dueñas
Pilar Dueñas  Identity Verified
Costa Rica
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks| May 18, 2023

Thank you all for your answers.
I will look for the other thread, thanks for the heads-up.
I know the rate should be much higher, particularly for Spanish into English.
We are sent, say, 1000 segments ranging from a few words to 3-4 sentences. Some are badly spelled and this is where the software has the most problems. However, if the sentence is short and sweet, the translation is usually perfect, but I am required to edit at least 90% of the segments. It's not that I'm penal
... See more
Thank you all for your answers.
I will look for the other thread, thanks for the heads-up.
I know the rate should be much higher, particularly for Spanish into English.
We are sent, say, 1000 segments ranging from a few words to 3-4 sentences. Some are badly spelled and this is where the software has the most problems. However, if the sentence is short and sweet, the translation is usually perfect, but I am required to edit at least 90% of the segments. It's not that I'm penalised or anything, I just cannot deliver the file with over 10% of segments unchanged.
I was trying to understand how the software "thinks", so thank you for your input.
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:04
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Pilar May 19, 2023

This does ring a bell! I might be wrong but this reminds me of the infamous ISAAC/ISSAC project…

Tony Keily
Tony Keily
Italian to English
+ ...
Couldn't agree more May 19, 2023

Stepan Konev wrote:

I only accept two categories: the translation is fine and the translation is not fine.

It's like when revisers come back and tell you that a sentence here or there is 'too literal' or 'too like the source' when the target sentence does its job 100% and reads perfectly well. I've actually had advance instructions on a job to juggle syntax around, across the board, just so my version will look 'more translated'. It's a fetishistic approach.

And with the explosion of MTPE, all of this nonsense is about to get a lot worse.

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
This sounds suspicious May 19, 2023

They're not being straight with you, and if they're not prepared to pay something like your normal rate you should send them a link to this page and dump them.

Elena Feriani

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:04
Spanish to English
+ ...
May 19, 2023

[Edited at 2023-05-19 19:30 GMT]

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
And... May 21, 2023

Lingua 5B wrote:

And that's a way to harm our profession.

Christopher Schröder
Florence Bremond

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Neural translation post-editing, what to do

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »